Charge of q Problem: Find q from Two 3.0g Spheres on 1.0m Threads

• Thread starter Mindscrape
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Charge
In summary, the problem involves finding the charge of two 3.0 g spheres that are equally charged and repelling each other on 1.0-m-long threads. The tension in the string can be used to find the horizontal component of the force, which can then be used to calculate the charge using the equation q = \sqrt{\frac{.003kg*9.8\frac{m}{s^2}*tan(20)*(2sin(20))^2 m}{(9*10^9\frac{Nm^2}{C^2})}}. However, the answer may need to be converted from C to nC.
Mindscrape
Two 3.0 g spheres on 1.0-m-long threads repel each other after being equally charged. What is the charge of q?

I don't know why I can't seem to get this right, but I am missing something somewhere. So, I figured I could find use the tension in the 1m string to find the horizontal component of the force, which would then equal the force of the repulsion between the charges. Which means that [tex]T_x = m g tan \theta[/tex]. Also using trig to find the x leg yields .324m. If [tex]F = \frac{kq^2}{r^2}[/tex] then q should be [tex]q = \sqrt{\frac{mgtan\theta 2x^2}{k}}[/tex], and plugging in the numbers would be [tex]q = \sqrt{\frac{.003kg*9.8\frac{m}{s^2}*tan(20)*.684^2m}{(9*10^9\frac{Nm^2}{C^2})}}[/tex]. But that gives that q=6.17*10^13C, which would be ripping atoms in air apart. Anyone chatch were I went wrong?

Attachments

• knight_Figure_25_60.jpg
    knight_Figure_25_60.jpg
    4.5 KB · Views: 405
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Oh whoops, I just figured out what I did wrong. Usually instead of using division on my calculator I just tpye ^-1, but I forgot to. Nevermind, I was right.

I worked this one out on my own and ended up with:

[tex]
q = \sqrt{\frac{.003kg*9.8\frac{m}{s^2}*tan(20)*(2sin(20))^2 m}{(9*10^9\frac{Nm^2}{C^2})}}
[/tex]

(Which, as far as I can tell, is identical to the one above.)

It gives me an answer of 7.46*10^-7... which is apparently incorrect. What am I missing here? I keep coming up with the same equation no matter how I approach the problem. This is super frustrating.

Er... nevermind. I finally realized it was asking for nC - not C. Big difference in numbers there. :p

1. How do I determine the charge of the spheres?

The charge of the spheres can be determined by using Coulomb's Law, which states that the force between two charged objects is directly proportional to the product of their charges and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them. By measuring the force between the two spheres and knowing the distance between them, the charge can be calculated.

2. What is the formula for Coulomb's Law?

The formula for Coulomb's Law is F = k * (q1 * q2) / d^2, where F is the force, k is the Coulomb's constant, q1 and q2 are the charges of the two spheres, and d is the distance between them.

3. What is the value of the Coulomb's constant?

The value of the Coulomb's constant, represented by k, is approximately 8.99 x 10^9 N*m^2/C^2.

4. What units should be used for the measurements in this problem?

The units used for the measurements in this problem should be in grams (g) for the mass of the spheres, meters (m) for the distance between them, and Coulombs (C) for the charge.

5. Is there a specific direction for the charge in this problem?

No, there is no specific direction for the charge in this problem. Coulomb's Law only takes into account the magnitude of the charge, and not its direction.