Calculating Charge of Radon Nucleus

In summary, the conversation is about finding the total charge of a radon nucleus with 86 electrons. The person has tried different answers but none of them worked. They clarify that protons have a positive charge and the exact charge of an electron is -1.602x10^-19 C. Eventually, they figure out the correct answer.
poteat86
Hi, this problem is killing me.

What is the total charge of the radon nucleus? (The neutral radon atom has 86 electrons.)

The units is in Coulombs so I figured since they were asking for the charge of just the nucleus then it would be 86 protons times -1.6x10^-19 C. But that didn't work, I've tried every answer I can think of but it isn't working. (its like an online homework thing...i have only a few tries left and i need this answer to continue the rest) Please please help! Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
protons have a positive charge?

yes...protons are positive and electrons are negative but electrons aren't in the nucleus so that's why i was using protons

In your original post you are saying the proton charge is negative... make sure you are putting in a positive number. Could it be a rounding issue? Since the exact charge of the electron is: −1.602 176 53(14) × 10−19 C thus making the proton have charge the opposite of that? Is your answer supposed to be in Coulombs? or in some other unit system?

thanks for your help, i finally got it!

1. What is the charge of the nucleus?

The nucleus has a positive charge, typically equal to the number of protons it contains. This charge is essential for maintaining the stability of the atom.

2. How is the charge of the nucleus determined?

The charge of the nucleus is determined by the number of protons it contains. Each proton has a charge of +1, so the total charge of the nucleus is equal to the number of protons.

3. What is the role of the charge of the nucleus in an atom?

The charge of the nucleus is essential for holding the atom together. The positive charge of the nucleus attracts the negatively charged electrons, keeping them in orbit around the nucleus.

4. Can the charge of the nucleus change?

In most cases, the charge of the nucleus remains constant. However, in nuclear reactions such as radioactive decay, the number of protons (and therefore the charge) in the nucleus can change.

5. How does the charge of the nucleus affect the properties of an atom?

The charge of the nucleus is a fundamental property of an atom that determines its chemical behavior. The number of protons in the nucleus determines the element's atomic number, which in turn affects the element's physical and chemical properties.