Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Charge of the nucleus

1. Sep 3, 2006 #1
    Hi, this problem is killing me.

What is the total charge of the radon nucleus? (The neutral radon atom has 86 electrons.)

The units is in Coulombs so I figured since they were asking for the charge of just the nucleus then it would be 86 protons times -1.6x10^-19 C. But that didn't work, I've tried every answer I can think of but it isn't working. (its like an online hw thing...i have only a few tries left and i need this answer to continue the rest) Please please help!! Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 3, 2006 #2
    protons have a positive charge?

4. Sep 3, 2006 #3
    yes...protons are positive and electrons are negative but electrons aren't in the nucleus so thats why i was using protons

5. Sep 3, 2006 #4
    In your original post you are saying the proton charge is negative... make sure you are putting in a positive number. Could it be a rounding issue? Since the exact charge of the electron is: −1.602 176 53(14) × 10−19 C thus making the proton have charge the opposite of that? Is your answer supposed to be in Coulombs? or in some other unit system?

6. Sep 3, 2006 #5
    thanks for your help, i finally got it!

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook