1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Charge on a capacitator

1. May 17, 2009 #1
    given the following:
    http://lh3.ggpht.com/_H4Iz7SmBrbk/ShATOIWSXEI/AAAAAAAAA_4/M57_Bf03Z2M/s720/Untitled.jpg [Broken]

and knowing:
    C1=400μF
    C2=500μF
    ε=9V
    R=20kΩ

the switch is closed to position A for a time of t=RC1/2 and then moved to position B
    ----------------------------------
    what is the charge of C1 the moment the switch is moved from A to B??

as far as i can see none of my equations have anything to do with time, other than P=VI (since W=J/s) but i dont think that helps me very much,, how do i incorporate the element of time into this, i tried kirchhoff but that didnt really get me anywhere

q1C1+IR=-ε
    since i dont know q1 I or R i think this is not the right way to go,
    i would think that the R needs to cancel out since the t is dependant on R, so i am looking for something that will give me t/R

i thought that since W=J/s, P=E/t = q2/2C * 2/RC1 but that doesnt help either

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. May 17, 2009 #2
    There is an equation for exponential charging of a capacitor in a RC circuit.

4. May 17, 2009 #3
    what is that equation

5. May 17, 2009 #4
    You never solved for the differential equation of an RC circuit in your book or class?

[tex]Q = Q_0 \left( 1 - e^{-t/RC}\right)[/tex]

That is the equation for a battery charging a capacitor in an RC circuit. Where [tex]Q_0 = C\epsilon[/tex].

6. May 17, 2009 #5
    nope, never seen that before, probably in the next few lessons, what is the root of this equations?

7. May 17, 2009 #6
    Are you doing homework ahead of time?

Too much to explain but I found this on google:

http://www.ac.wwu.edu/~vawter/PhysicsNet/Topics/DC-Current/RCSeries.html [Broken]

It explains how a capacitor charges and discharges in an RC circuit.

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook