Charge on Cylinder Shell: Q1 + Q2

In summary, the conversation discusses the charge distribution on a conducting rod and cylindrical shell. The rod has a net charge of Q1 = +3.67 × 10-12 C and the shell has a net charge of Q2 = -2.04Q1. The question is asking for the charge on the interior and exterior surfaces of the shell. A hint is given to consider the electric field between the inner and outer radius of the shell and to learn about Gauss.
RoyalFlush100

Homework Statement

The figure is a section of a conducting rod of radius R1 = 1.60 mm and length L = 11.30 m inside a thin-walled coaxial conducting cylindrical shell of radius R2 = 10.5R1 and the (same) length L. The net charge on the rod is Q1 = +3.67 × 10-12 C; that on the shell is Q2 = -2.04Q1.

What is the charge on the interior and exterior surface of the shell?

Picture inserted below.

Homework Equations

I have no idea.

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't even know how to start this. I know the answer of the charge on the exterior is the sum of Q1 and Q2, but I don't know how where the answer came from.

Attachments

• pic.gif
    pic.gif
    6.6 KB · Views: 372
Physics news on Phys.org
Hello RF,
Guidelines don't like 'dunno' but I'll give you a hint: what about the ##\vec E## field between inner and outer R2 ? And: learn about Gauss already ?

1. What is the formula for calculating the charge on a cylinder shell?

The formula for calculating the charge on a cylinder shell is Q = Q1 + Q2, where Q is the total charge on the cylinder shell and Q1 and Q2 are the charges on the two ends of the cylinder.

2. How do you determine the direction of the electric field on a cylinder shell?

The direction of the electric field on a cylinder shell is determined by the direction of the charges on the two ends of the cylinder. If the two charges are of the same sign, the electric field will point away from the cylinder. If the two charges are of opposite signs, the electric field will point towards the cylinder.

3. Can the charge on a cylinder shell be negative?

Yes, the charge on a cylinder shell can be negative. This can occur if one end of the cylinder has a larger magnitude of charge than the other end, resulting in a net negative charge on the cylinder.

4. How does the charge on a cylinder shell affect the electric potential at a point outside the cylinder?

The charge on a cylinder shell will create an electric potential at a point outside the cylinder. The magnitude of this potential will depend on the distance from the cylinder and the amount of charge on the cylinder. The potential will decrease as the distance from the cylinder increases, and will be greater if the charge on the cylinder is larger.

5. Can the charge on a cylinder shell change over time?

Yes, the charge on a cylinder shell can change over time if the charges on the two ends of the cylinder are changing. This can occur if an external electric field is applied to the cylinder or if the charges on the ends of the cylinder are able to move. However, if the charges on the ends of the cylinder are fixed, the total charge on the cylinder shell will remain constant.