Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Charge on acpacitor

1. Jul 5, 2007 #1
    why is there equal charge on both the capacitor when one end of one and the other end the other is connected to a battery

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 5, 2007 #2

ranger

Gold Member

I don't understand what you're trying to ask. Please reword.

4. Jul 5, 2007 #3
    hes asking why equal but opposite charges develop on opposite sides of a parellel plate capacitor and the answer is because they have to setup an E field that cancels out the field of the battery

5. Jul 5, 2007 #4
    well here i am not using any speciality of the 'capacitor'...i just use 4 plates connect two of them to a battery and place two of the other after connecting them by a perfectly conducting wire in between the two plates....will the charge distribution be [tex]Q,-Q,Q,-Q[/tex] respectively ...if yes why

i am trying to proceed on the lines of uniqueness theorem for electric fields...

6. Jul 5, 2007 #5
    i told you why, because charge travels down a potential gradient and since a cap is an open circuit it will stop at the plate and create a field.

7. Jul 5, 2007 #6

ranger

Gold Member

This is a very interesting question. You will find this discussion of interest:
    http://www.usna.edu/Users/physics/mungan/Scholarship/Capacitors.html

8. Jul 6, 2007 #7
    hey thanks for that wonderfuls site.
    i got a proof on the line that the there is no charge deposition on the wire and assuming steady state

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?