1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Charge on acpacitor

1. Jul 5, 2007 #1
    why is there equal charge on both the capacitor when one end of one and the other end the other is connected to a battery

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 5, 2007 #2

ranger

Gold Member

I don't understand what you're trying to ask. Please reword.

4. Jul 5, 2007 #3
    hes asking why equal but opposite charges develop on opposite sides of a parellel plate capacitor and the answer is because they have to setup an E field that cancels out the field of the battery

5. Jul 5, 2007 #4
    well here i am not using any speciality of the 'capacitor'...i just use 4 plates connect two of them to a battery and place two of the other after connecting them by a perfectly conducting wire in between the two plates....will the charge distribution be [tex]Q,-Q,Q,-Q[/tex] respectively ...if yes why

i am trying to proceed on the lines of uniqueness theorem for electric fields...

6. Jul 5, 2007 #5
    i told you why, because charge travels down a potential gradient and since a cap is an open circuit it will stop at the plate and create a field.

7. Jul 5, 2007 #6

ranger

Gold Member

This is a very interesting question. You will find this discussion of interest:
    http://www.usna.edu/Users/physics/mungan/Scholarship/Capacitors.html

8. Jul 6, 2007 #7
    hey thanks for that wonderfuls site.
    i got a proof on the line that the there is no charge deposition on the wire and assuming steady state

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?