1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Charge on capacitor

1. Feb 22, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    If you put more charge on one plate of a parallel-plate capacitor than on the other, where does the extra charge go?

3. The attempt at a solution
    Does the extra charge induce the same amount of opposite charge on the near side of the plate and therefore the same amount of same charge on the far side of the opposite plate? Or does the extra charge actually move somewhere?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 23, 2009 #2

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

uhh? :confused: charge can't jump the gap, so if you "put" it there, it just stays there

i don't really understand the rest of the question …

what's producing the extra charge? …

what is either plate connected to? …

was that the complete question?

4. Feb 23, 2009 #3
    That was the complete question. I figure there is nowhere for it to go so here is what I am thinking: if the initial charge on the top plate was Q and the initial charge on the bottom plate was -Q then after the charge is added the charge on the top plate is Q+S and that induces a charge of +S on the bottom of the bottom plate and a charge of -(Q+S) on the top of the bottom plate. Is that correct?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook