1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Charge on capacitor

1. Jul 11, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I got question 10 and need help on 11
    [PLAIN]http://lulzimg.com/i23/abf9f8.jpg [Broken]

2. Relevant equations
    C = Q/V

3. The attempt at a solution
    At first i thought it was a simple c = q/v and solve for Q but that wasnt right. Is that because the circuit splits off in two parts and a different number of charge is passed through each end based on the capacitors there?

This makes me think, if we use C = q/v, we would use the answer from question 10 to find the total charge available. Charge must be conserved so we take a percentage C_a is in comparison to the rest.. thats wrong too

Edit: I think i got the right answer but I need to double check on reasoning.
    Using the idea that charge is convserved, i read in book that charges on capacitors in series are equal. Thus, it is a percentage split between (C_a+C_b) and (C_c+C_d). So what i did was find the percentage the capactiance in series for top and bottom were relative to the total capacitance of the 4. Using C = q/v with total capacitance, i found the total charge, then multiplied by the percentage.
    C1+c2 was 2.05e-6
    C3+c4 was 1.367e-6
    Total was 3.417e-6

Thus c1+c2 was about 60% of total.
    C(total) = q/v
    q = 2.955e-4
    q * 0.6 = 1.77e-4 C

Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 11, 2011 #2

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Ca and Cb connected in series, and the total voltage across them is V=86.5 V. What is the relation among the charges on series connected capacitors?

ehild

4. Jul 11, 2011 #3
    i just edited while u posted, im guessing thats the right reasoning?

5. Jul 11, 2011 #4

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yes, it is correct, but the calculation would be simpler if you used Q=Cr * V with Cr the resultant capacitance of Ca and Cb. Series capacitors have the same charge and it is the same as the charge on their resultant.

ehild

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook