1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Charge on capacitors in parallel and series

1. Feb 7, 2005 #1
    How do I find the charge on each capacitor?

-------c1----------------------
    |........................|................|
    |........................|................|
    V.......................c2...............c3
    |_______________|__________|

I know how to find the total charge which would be q=Ceq*v but I dont know how to find the charge on each individual capacitor.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 7, 2005 #2
    Do you know how to find [tex]C_{eq}[/tex]? Add up the capacitors in parallel (simply add the capacitances). This will give you [tex]C_2[/tex] + [tex]C_3[/tex]. This new equivalent capacitance is in series with [tex]C_1[/tex]. Use the series formula [tex]\frac{1}{C_{eq}} = \frac{1}{C_1} + \frac{1}{C_{23}}[/tex] After you have found the total equivalent capacitance you can get the total charge, and find the individual charges from there. I don't know if that will help you any.

As a hint, charge is conserved across capacitors in series (the equivalent charge is the same for each capacitor) but with capacitors in parallel you have to add the individual charges to get the total charge.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 7, 2005
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?