1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Charge or Discharge?

1. May 25, 2014 #1
    http://photouploads.com/images/zxwx.png

Why are they using the i(t) = Vth/RTh .... formula to work out the current? I mean in the image on the right (in the above link), the inductor is de-energising through the resistors so why are they using an equation that is used when energising?

2. jcsd
  3. May 26, 2014 #2

NascentOxygen

Staff: Mentor

They are showing the general equation. If the network included a voltage source, then that equation would apply for the current through the inductor. It simplifies here because the voltage source is zero.

While you can say the inductor is de-energizing, you could equally consider it to be energizing to a new steady state current (of VTH/RTH), and so keep the formula as general as possible until substituting data values at the last line.

4. May 26, 2014 #3

gneill

Staff: Mentor

My guess would be that somewhere in your course materials they derive an equation that uses the Thevenin equivalent as part of a general solution.

In RL or RC circuits the responses of voltages and currents always follow an exponential curve, one that either decays from one level to another, or increases from a starting level to a higher level (plateau). With appropriate signed constants a general equation produce both "versions".

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted