Charge problem, used a quadtratic equation, can you see if i did it right?

• Thread starter mr_coffee
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Charge
In summary, the problem is to find the coordinates of particle 3, given that particle 1 has a charge of 1.0E-6 C, particle 2 has a charge of -2.0E-6 C, and they are separated by 13.0 cm on an x axis. The net electrostatic force on particle 3 must be zero. Using the given drawing and work, the answer is X = -31.385 cm and Y = 0 cm. In the second question, situations b and a are the only ones where an electron will be in equilibrium. It is not necessary to use the quadratic method, as the solution can be found through simpler calculations. The coordinates of particle 3 will
mr_coffee
Hello everyone. I need to see if I did this right. the problem is this:
Particle 1 of charge 1.0E-6 C and particle 2 of charge -2.0E-6 C are held at separation L = 13.0cm on an x axis. If particle 3 of unkonwn charge q3 is to be located such that the net electrostatifc force on it from particles 1 and 2 is zero what must be the coordinates of particle 3?

Here is my drawing and work:
http://img231.imageshack.us/img231/2886/quad5nx.jpg

So would the answer be X = 31.385 cm Y = 0 cm?

Also another quick question...
http://img76.imageshack.us/img76/510/22115ph.gif shows four situations in which charged particles are fixed in place on an axis.

In which situations is there a point to the left of the particles where an electron will be in equilibrium? (Select all that apply.)
situation b and a were the only ones that made senes to me. Does that seem right?

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
with the smaller charge q at x=0, and the -2q at x=13m,
the E-field contributions cancel farther from the -2q.
How much farther? sqrt(2) farther than from the small q.
(so ratio 2q/(sqrt(2)*d)^2 = 1)
(d+130mm) = 1.414 (d) , so .414d = 130mm
no quadratic needed

My professor told me to use the quadratic, so my solution is incorrect? If i convert your 130mm to cm's it doesn't come even close to my answer. If you would use my method, what did i screw up? thanks for the reply

mr_coffee said:
My professor told me to use the quadratic, so my solution is incorrect?
Your solution is correct.

Thanks Doc, quick question, Is it suppose to be negative answer or postive answer? becuase I placed the charge on the negative x-axis. and it is wanting the Y coordinates and x coordinates. Y = 0 cm, but would X = -31 or X = 31?

I believe you are perfectly correct with your answer however your method was over-laborious. If you had canceled the 10^6 and expressed d in terms of a separation you could get the quadratic terms out much more quickly

the roots i got in the form 13(1 + sqrt(2)) and 13(1 - sqrt(2)) confirm what you got.

note however that it the co-ordinate system you sketch the charge is at (-31.385,0)

mr_coffee said:
Thanks Doc, quick question, Is it suppose to be negative answer or postive answer? becuase I placed the charge on the negative x-axis. and it is wanting the Y coordinates and x coordinates. Y = 0 cm, but would X = -31 or X = 31?
As gnpatterson already explained, if you put the positive charge at X = 0 and the negative charge at X = 13 cm, then the coordinates of your answer will be X = -31 cm.

In your equation, d stands for the distance from the charge at X = 0. Once you found the solution of the equation, it is up to you to translate the answer into the format required: a coordinate along the x-axis.

thanks guys!

1. How do you solve a charge problem using a quadratic equation?

To solve a charge problem using a quadratic equation, you first need to identify the variables involved. The charge problem typically involves three variables: charge, distance, and force. Then, you can set up a quadratic equation by equating the force equation F= (k*q1*q2)/d^2 to the given values and solving for the unknown variable.

2. What is the quadratic formula and how is it used in solving charge problems?

The quadratic formula is: x = (-b ± √(b^2 - 4ac)) / 2a. In solving charge problems, this formula is used to find the values of the unknown variable, which is usually distance or force. By plugging in the known values into the formula, you can solve for the unknown variable.

3. Can you explain the concept of charge in physics?

In physics, charge is a fundamental property of matter that describes the amount of electrical energy within a system. It is measured in coulombs and can be positive or negative. Like charges repel each other, while opposite charges attract each other.

4. What are some common mistakes when solving charge problems using quadratic equations?

One common mistake is setting up the equation incorrectly. It is important to correctly identify the variables involved and set up the equation based on the given information. Another mistake is using the wrong values or units in the equation, which can lead to incorrect solutions. It is also important to carefully apply the quadratic formula and double-check your calculations.

5. How can I check if I did the charge problem correctly using a quadratic equation?

You can check your solution by plugging in the values back into the original equation and seeing if it satisfies the equation. Additionally, you can use a graphing calculator or software to graph the equation and see if the solution lies on the graph. It is always a good idea to double-check your work and make sure your solution makes sense in the context of the problem.