Equilibrium of Charges on a Square: Find q

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving four charges placed at the corners of a square and a charge placed at the center. It is stated that the center charge will be in equilibrium regardless of the value of q, and the problem is to find the value of q for which all four corner charges are in equilibrium. The answer is determined to be q = Q/4 * ( 1 + 2(√2).
mirzaicpc
four charges each equal -Q placed at the four edges of a square and a charge q is placed at the centre. if system is in equilibrium the value of q is,

the answer is q = Q/4 * ( 1 + 2(√2)

can anyone please solve this, would be great

Physics news on Phys.org
That sounds like a homework question, you should probably take it there. Also, I don't understand the setup; you say a charge "q" is placed in the middle. So, isn't the value of q ... q?

Are you sure about the answer ? It should be zero I guess net force will be zero any case so we can't tell anything about q and Q

ya i am sure abt it,

But the problem as you describe it make no sense. You already know the value of q, why do you need to calculate it again?

Also, please spend more time writing your responses.

Q's are stable or unstable ?

this was one of the replies i got, but couldn't understand it, hope it will help

Attachments

• IMG-20150603-WA0001.jpg
    IMG-20150603-WA0001.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 393
I solved it.I will send a picture I hope it will be not a problem cause its not in homework section

thank you so much,,, waiting for the pic

Who moved this in homework section I will be banned now. This post first opened general physics forum.For that I send picture.I don't take any responsibility to share this picture.I don't break the rules.

thank u so much people

ArmanCham said:
Who moved this in homework section I will be banned now. This post first opened general physics forum.For that I send picture.I don't take any responsibility to share this picture.I don't break the rules.
Post number 2 stated it was homework, and in the post you edited, you knew it was homework, you won't be banned, don't worry, just make sure to follow the homework rules for helpers.

ArmanCham said:
Who moved this in homework section I will be banned now
Don't panic. You're not getting banned. The moderators are just working to help you out by moving your post into the forum where it should have been placed to start with. We're not evil overlords around here. [Though I hear that the ban stick is a fun thing to wield]

It is clear by inspection that the center charge will be in equilibrium regardless of the value of q.

So the original problem is surely intended to find the value of q for which the four equal charges at the corners are each in an equilibrium. Whether that equilibrium would be stable is a separate question that we need not delve into here.

One should be able to calculate the repulsion on each corner charge from its peers. And one should be able to calculate the attraction of the corner charge from the center charge in terms of the known value Q and the unknown value q. Find q such that the net force on a corner charge is zero and the problem is solved. I believe that is the approach that was taken in the posted answer.

Last edited:

What is the concept of equilibrium of charges on a square?

The concept of equilibrium of charges on a square refers to the state where the total positive and negative charges on a square are balanced, resulting in a net charge of zero. This is achieved when the charges are equally distributed on all sides of the square.

How do you find the value of q in equilibrium of charges on a square?

To find the value of q, you can use the formula q = n * qe, where n is the number of charges on each side of the square and qe is the elementary charge. You can also use the concept of Coulomb's law and the principle of superposition to determine the value of q.

What factors affect the equilibrium of charges on a square?

The equilibrium of charges on a square is affected by various factors such as the number of charges, the distance between the charges, and the size of the square. The charges must be equally distributed on all sides of the square for the equilibrium to be achieved.

Can the equilibrium of charges on a square be disrupted?

Yes, the equilibrium of charges on a square can be disrupted if any of the charges on the square are moved or if an external force is applied to the system. This will result in an imbalance of charges and a net charge will be present on the square.

What is the significance of equilibrium of charges on a square?

The equilibrium of charges on a square is important in understanding the behavior of electric charges in a closed system. It also helps in predicting the movement of charges and the resulting electric fields. This concept is also used in various applications such as electronic circuits and capacitors.