Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Charge quantized

1. Jul 6, 2007 #1
    When I first study the chapter Charge, I was told that charges are quantized, that is, you can't find a charge of like 6.2e or 1/3e.

But later, when I got into the quantum theory, I was told that there are quarks, which have charges like +2/3e or -1/3e.

Don't these two statements contradict?

How can we explain this contradiction?
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 6, 2007 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

No, the two statements do not contradict one another. Any particle has a charge of an integer multiple of e. Particles, like the proton for example, are made up of a quarks, the sum of the charges of which will always equal an integer multiple of e-- in the case of a proton, +e.
  4. Jul 6, 2007 #3
    I would like to add here that electric charges in the macroscopic world develop only due to exchange of electrons/protons. Though protons are made of quarks, these quarks never roam about freely to create any sort of charge or current in a body. So, we only consider the charge on an electron or a proton while studying electrostatics and electrodynamics, which ,as you know, always remains constant.

Mr V
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?