Charge Questions: Electrons, Protons, Neutrons, etc.

• Thread starter taeth
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Charge
In summary: A few examples are "A Brief History of Time" by Stephen Hawking, "The Elegant Universe" by Brian Greene, and "The Quantum Universe" by Leonard Susskind.
taeth
Sorry for so many stupid questions, but what exactly creates the charge in an electron, proton, neutron, anti matter, quarks, and does positive or negative charges play a role in gravity?

Physics news on Phys.org
taeth said:
Sorry for so many stupid questions, but what exactly creates the charge in an electron, proton, neutron, anti matter, quarks, and does positive or negative charges play a role in gravity?

1.Theory.Experiment confirms it,fortunately.It has to do with Noether theorem for fields and global invariance of the Lagrange densities of the fields which describe each electrically charged particle.

2.Yes,they do.Rotating electric charged BH are a pretty solid example.

Daniel.

Do positive and negative charges effect mass differently? Also when a anti-particle and a normal particle collide they both counteract and desperse into energy(or so I read), and I was wondering if energy is charged? Because I heard that photon's are uneffected by a electromagnetic field, but they still have momentum, kinetic energy, and are effected by gravity(black holes) so I was wondering if charge is perhaps another form of gravitational force, or that maybe charge is perphaps in both matter, and energy form at the same time?

taeth said:
Do positive and negative charges effect mass differently?

No,there's no connection between rest mass and electric charge whatsover.

taeth said:
Also when a anti-particle and a normal particle collide they both counteract and desperse into energy(or so I read), and I was wondering if energy is charged?

No,energy and electric charge are totally different "objects",notions,if u want to.

taeth said:
Because I heard that photon's are uneffected by a electromagnetic field

PHOTON IS ELECTROMAGNETIC FIELD.So what u're saying is absurd.

taeth said:
so I was wondering if charge is perhaps another form of gravitational force,

Nope.Simple speculations.They have nothing in common.

taeth said:
or that maybe charge is perphaps in both matter, and energy form at the same time?

Charge and mass/matter are different things.Period.

Daniel.

Yeah ok some of what I said I forgot to edit, but energy and matter are only different based on present knowledge which I still believe is extremely limited.

taeth, when dexter said that charge affects gravity, he did not mean that charge was responsible for gravity or is a form of gravity - these are completely different things. The gravitational force between a pair of protons and a similar pair of neutrons is very nearly the same, despite the fact that protons are charged and neutrons are not.

taeth said:
Yeah ok some of what I said I forgot to edit, but energy and matter are only different based on present knowledge which I still believe is extremely limited.

I don't mean to sound insulting, but how would you know this without really knowing the extent of the "present knowledge" ? Things like the behavior of gravity and charge are very well understood, and the last thing that is needed is more speculative theories from people that do not know how to solve the Maxwell Equations. Please realize you have a lot to learn before you can suggest changes to the existing body of accepted science.

anyone give me link to a pdf of website with the maxwell eqs? i want to have a go at messing around with them a bit.

tozhan said:
anyone give me link to a pdf of website with the maxwell eqs? i want to have a go at messing around with them a bit.
I'll write them from the top of my head:
For fields in matter:

[tex] \nabla\cdot \vec{D}=\rho [/tex] (1)

[tex] \nabla\cdot \vec{B}=0 [/tex] (2)

[tex] \nabla\times \vec{E}=-\frac{\partial \vec{B}}{\partial t} [/tex] (3)

[tex] \nabla\times \vec{H}=\vec{j}+\frac{\partial \vec{D}}{\partial t} [/tex] (4)

Daniel.

k I didn't just take these off the top of my head tho... They were quantum theorists that said about energy and matter might be more closely link than people right now think. I would never present my own theories due to my lack of knowledge.

taeth said:
k I didn't just take these off the top of my head tho... They were quantum theorists that said about energy and matter might be more closely link than people right now think. I would never present my own theories due to my lack of knowledge.

Okay, that's a good thing. Since all your posts were in the form of questions, it would be unfair to characterize them as theorizing...I take that back and offer my apology.

If you want to understand physics better, there are some very good books where you can formally learn how physics works and how to use it.

1. What is charge?

Charge is a fundamental property of matter that determines how objects interact with each other. It can be positive, negative, or neutral.

2. What are the three types of charges?

The three types of charges are positive, negative, and neutral. Protons have a positive charge, electrons have a negative charge, and neutrons have no charge.

3. How do electrons, protons, and neutrons differ in terms of charge?

Electrons have a negative charge, protons have a positive charge, and neutrons have no charge. This difference in charge is what makes these particles behave differently in interactions with each other.

4. What is the unit of charge?

The unit of charge is the Coulomb (C). It is a derived unit in the International System of Units (SI) and is equivalent to the charge of approximately 6.24 x 10^18 protons.

5. Can charges be created or destroyed?

No, according to the law of conservation of charge, charges cannot be created or destroyed. They can only be transferred from one object to another through interactions or reactions.