1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Charge question

1. May 30, 2005 #1
    I'm learning about charge right now and I have no idea how to start this one.. any help is appreciated.

A helium balloon has a charge of q = 5.5 x 10^-8. It rises vertically into the air. d = 600m. from the surface of the earth to final position A. The electric field that normally exists in the atmosphere near the surface of the earth has a magnitude E = 150 N/C and is directed downward. What is the difference in electric potential between the two positions?

2. jcsd
  3. May 30, 2005 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

What's the definition of electric potential? How does it relate to the field? (Hint: The charge on the balloon is irrelevant.)

4. May 30, 2005 #3
    Is this true for d = 0m and d = 600m ?

if so i think I could solve it using:

V= Ed

5. May 31, 2005 #4

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Yes, assume the field is uniform.

Right!

A more accurate way to write this is:
    [tex]\Delta V = - E \Delta d[/tex]

Last edited: May 31, 2005
  6. May 31, 2005 #5
    I note that, even though the electric field is pointing downwards, the positively charged balloon moves upwards, unless and until it decelerates and comes to rest but that a different case.

Last edited: May 31, 2005
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?