Charged balls and force problem

In summary: Thanks!In summary, in Case 1 the ball with the -2q charge experiences the largest force, in Case 2 the ball with the -q charge experiences the largest force, and in Case 3 the ball with the -q charge experiences the largest force.
candyq27

Homework Statement

Three balls, with charges of +4q, -2q, -q, are equally spaced along a line. The spacing between the balls is r. We can arrange the balls in three different ways: (1) +4q, -2q, -q; (2) -2q, +4q, -q; (3) +4q, -q, -2q.
(a) Which ball experiences the largest magnitude net force in each of the three cases?
(b) Express your answers below in terms of k, Q, and r. Calculate the magnitude and direction of the force applied to the ball that has the -q charge in each of the three cases.
(c) In which case does the ball of charge +4q experience the largest force?

Homework Equations

k=9x10^9
magnitude of the force between charges: F=k(q1)(q2)/(r)^2 and F=qE
magnitude of the electric field: E=kq/r^2

The Attempt at a Solution

(a) Case 1: The -2q charge has the largest force because the -q charge experiences a large force to the right and a small to the left, the -2q charge experiences a large force to the right and a large force to the right, and the +4q charge has a large force to the right and a small force to the right.
Case 2: The -q charge and the -2q charge have equal magnitude but opposite direction net forces.
Case 3: The -q charge has the largest force because the -2q charge has a large force to the left and a small force to the right and the +4q has a large force to the left and a small force to the left.
I'm just learning how to do this so I'm not sure if these are correct. Please let me know so I can move on to part (b). Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Can anyone tell me if this is correct? I posted a few days ago but no one has responded.

the first 2 cases are correct. The third one isn't.

The -q feels a repulsive force of magnitude 2 in the -x direction due to the -2q , and a attractive force of magnitude 4 in the -x direction due to the +4q: total magnitude = 6 in -ve x direction.

The +4q feels a an attractive force of magnitude 4 in the +x direction due to the -q charge and an attractive force of 2 (2*4/(2)^2=2) in the +ve x direction due to the -2q charge. Total magnitude 4+2=6.

Hence the +4q and -q feel the same magnitude of force, in opposite directions.

(Note, these aren't the absolute magnitudes, just the relative magnitudes.)

Ok thanks
So for part (c), the ball with the +4q charge would experience the largest force in Case 1 because of the large attraction to -2q and the smaller attraction to -q.
Now for part (b) I know I use the equation F=k(q1)(q2)/r^2, so do i do it for each of the surrounding balls and then add them together to get the net force? Thanks!

That is correct

yess thank you

I think I also figured out part (b) but it is a lot to write out and I don't know how to make the formulas look nice so I'm not sure if I should even try to write them down so if you don't understand how I'm writing this I apologize...
Case 1: F= -[(k*2q*q)/(r)^2] + [(k*4q*q)/(2r)^2]
Case 2: F= +[(k*4q*q)/(r)^2] - [(k*2q*q)/(2r)^2]
Case 3: F= +[(k*4q*q)/(r)^2] - [(k*2q*q)/(r)^2]
Hopefully that's right!

1. What is the relationship between charged balls and force?

The relationship between charged balls and force is described by Coulomb's Law, which states that the force between two charged objects is directly proportional to the product of their charges and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them.

2. How do charged balls interact with each other?

Charged balls interact with each other through the electromagnetic force. Like charges repel each other, while opposite charges attract each other. This force can be attractive or repulsive depending on the charges of the objects and the distance between them.

3. What is the difference between electric and gravitational force?

The main difference between electric and gravitational force is that electric force only acts on charged particles, while gravitational force acts on all objects with mass. Additionally, electric force can be attractive or repulsive, while gravitational force is always attractive.

4. Can the force between charged balls be manipulated?

Yes, the force between charged balls can be manipulated by changing the amount of charge on the balls or by changing the distance between them. This can be done through processes such as induction, where the presence of a charged object can induce a temporary charge on another object without direct contact.

5. How can charged balls be used in practical applications?

Charged balls have a wide range of practical applications, including in electronics, electrostatics, and energy storage. They are used in devices such as capacitors, which store electrical energy, and in particle accelerators, which use electric fields to accelerate charged particles to high speeds.