1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Charged Circular Ring

1. Mar 20, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A circular ring of charge of radius b has a total charge q uniformly distributed around it. The magnitude of the electric field at the center of the ring is:
    [Answer: 0]

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    From the problem, do you just assume that the circular ring is a conductor? And since the charge is uniformly distributed, the conductor is in electrostatic equilibrium and there is no electric field? I'm not quite sure on how to think through it.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 20, 2008 #2

rock.freak667

Homework Helper

Isn't that technically the same as a hollow sphere with charges uniformly distributed around it?

4. Mar 21, 2008 #3
    Ah, I guess it is. Can you tell me if this explanation is correct?

All the excess charge in the conductor must be located at the surface of the conductor. If we construct a Gaussian surface inside the shell, the net electric flux and the electric field are both zero since there is no net charge inside the conductor.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?