Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Charged dielectric sheet between two grounded conductors

1. Aug 31, 2011 #1
    I have a proposed solution to the following problem, but I don't know if is correct, and so I'll ask you for help:

A thin dielectric sheet of uniform charge density [itex]\sigma[/itex] (I'll assume [itex]\sigma > 0[/itex] for simplicity) is surrounded by two thin conductors, which are initially uncharged and are connected by a wire. The first and second conductors are at distances [itex]a, b[/itex] respectively from the dielectric. The three sheets are parallel. The configuration is then like a sandwich. I want to find the electric field in every point of the space.

My proposed solution is that the electric field between the conductor A and the dielectric, and between the conductor B and the dielectric, is null. The electric field is [itex]|\bar{E}_{outside}| = \dfrac{\sigma}{2\epsilon_0}[/itex] everywhere else.

My argumentation is as follows: for the electric field outside the sandwich, the solution is clear and comes from Gauss's law.

For the electric field inside, let's suppose that a charge [itex]\eta[/itex] is induced on the sheet A (and thus a charge [itex]-\eta[/itex] on B). This means that the electric field in the space between A and the dielectric will be [itex]E_{A} = \dfrac{\sigma+\eta}{2\epsilon_0}[/itex], while [itex]E_{B} = \dfrac{\sigma-\eta}{2\epsilon_0}[/itex]. The potential difference between A and B is then [itex]\Delta V = E_{B} b - E_{A} a[/itex].

But the hypothesis is that [itex]\Delta V = 0[/itex] (they are connected with a wire), and so the difference above only holds is [itex]\eta = \sigma[/itex], which means that [itex]E_{A} = E_{B} = 0[/itex].

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted