Positively Charged Metal Sphere: Reactivity & Capacitors

In summary: When sphere is charged positively, it has lesser electrons than what it had in neutral state, so this means some atoms must habe lost their valance electrons.
Abdullah Wahid
When we make a metal sphere positively charged by electricity, why doesn't it react with oxygen or any other element in air as metal has positive charges and one of the element in air must react with sphere as I think an ion can never stand in air without reacting?
If it reacts, why doesn't the capacitor plates react with air??

Physics news on Phys.org
Abdullah Wahid said:
When we make a metal sphere positively charged by electricity, why doesn't it react with oxygen or any other element in air

why would it ?

gasses in the air around you is neutrally charged

Abdullah Wahid said:
why doesn't it react with oxygen or any other element in air as metal has positive charges and one of the element in air must react with sphere as I think an ion can never stand in air without reacting?
have a think and consider my previous comment, then re-ask yourself ... Why must it react ?

Abdullah Wahid said:
If it reacts, why doesn't the capacitor plates react with air??

as you have now discovered ... it doesn't

Caveat ... if the air around the sphere is very moist ( high humidity) there will possibly/probably be some leakage from the sphere
and probably mainly down the pole/other thing that is supporting the sphereDave

davenn said:
why would it ?

gasses in the air around you is neutrally charged
have a think and consider my previous comment, then re-ask yourself ... Why must it react ?
as you have now discovered ... it doesn't

Caveat ... if the air around the sphere is very moist ( high humidity) there will possibly/probably be some leakage from the sphere
and probably mainly down the pole/other thing that is supporting the sphereDave

Actually i think that nature will never allow an ion to stay in air without reacting. As charges are present it must react with something , probably with air as air has surrounded it and air also have some moisture in it.
If capacitor reacts, conductivity of plates should be effected as new compund is formed and mass of plates must change. Isn't it??

Abdullah Wahid said:
Actually i think that nature will never allow an ion to stay in air without reacting. As charges are present it must react with something ,

I have a feeling you don't know what an ion is ?

describe to me what you think it is :smile:

Abdullah Wahid said:
If capacitor reacts, conductivity of plates should be effected as new compound is formed and mass of plates must change. Isn't it??

no

davenn said:
I have a feeling you don't know what an ion is ?

describe to me what you think it is :smile:
no
Ion is an atom with net charge due to gain or loss of electrons. When sphere is charged positively, it has lesser electrons than what it had in neutral state, so this means some atoms must habe lost their valance electons.
Isn't it true

1. What is a positively charged metal sphere?

A positively charged metal sphere is a spherical object made of a conductive material, such as metal, that has been given a positive charge. This can be achieved through various methods, such as rubbing the sphere with a different material or using a power source to transfer positive charges to the sphere.

2. How does the reactivity of a positively charged metal sphere differ from a negatively charged one?

The reactivity of a positively charged metal sphere is different from a negatively charged one because positive charges tend to attract negative charges and repel other positive charges. This means that a positively charged sphere will interact differently with other objects than a negatively charged sphere, which tends to attract positive charges and repel negative charges.

3. Can a positively charged metal sphere lose its charge over time?

Yes, a positively charged metal sphere can lose its charge over time due to a process called discharge. This happens when the positive charges on the sphere are able to flow to a region with fewer positive charges, such as the ground or a negatively charged object. The rate of discharge depends on factors such as the conductivity of the material and the surrounding environment.

4. How does the capacitance of a positively charged metal sphere compare to a negatively charged one?

The capacitance of a positively charged metal sphere is the same as a negatively charged one, as it is determined by the size and shape of the sphere and the material it is made of. However, the distribution of charges on the sphere may differ, which can affect the overall capacitance.

5. How is a positively charged metal sphere used in capacitors?

A positively charged metal sphere can be used in capacitors as one of the two conductive plates. When connected to a negatively charged plate, it creates an electric field between the two plates, allowing for the storage of electric charge. This is used in various electronic devices, such as cameras, computers, and televisions.