1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Charged Metallic Balloon (need help understanding a concept)

1. Jan 28, 2005 #1
    the questioon is this:
    A balloon of radius 34.5 cm is sprayed with a metallic coating so that the surface is conducting. A charge of 1.05 × 10-08 C is placed on the surface. What is the potential on the balloon's surface?

how i solved it:
    -apply the guass law, which gives me the Electrical Field.

-apply the formula : Voltage = Ed ,

where E = electrical field , & d = distance travelled by charges (parrallel to field line)

n it turn out d = 34.5cm. this is where i don't get. why its d = 34.5cm?

its it b/c the positive charge move to the center, which travel a distance of 34.5cm? since if the surface is positively charged, it would repel the " + " charge to the centre & attact the " - " charge to surface....right?
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 28, 2005 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

No problem. You should get the field as a function of distance from the center, for points outside of the balloon: [itex]E = kq/r^2[/itex].
    You must integrate from a reference point (usually infinity = 0 potential) to the balloon's surface.

It's not. It turns out that the potential at a point a distance r from the center of the balloon (where r >= the balloon's radius) will equal kq/r.
  4. Jan 28, 2005 #3

Andrew Mason

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Electrical potential is the work done to bring a unit +charge from infinity to the surface of the sphere, which is:

[tex]\int_{\infty}^{34.5} E\cdot ds = kQ(\frac{1}{R}-\frac{1}{\infty}) = \frac{1}{4\pi \epsilon_0}(\frac{Q}{34.5}-0)[/tex]

5. Jan 28, 2005 #4
    ah, ic, thx guy. it seem to clear thing up quite a bit.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?