Charged Metallic Balloon ( understanding a concept)

In summary, the conversation discusses the process of finding the electrical potential on a balloon's surface that has been sprayed with a metallic coating and given a charge of 1.05 × 10-08 C. The steps involved include applying Gauss's law to find the electrical field, integrating from a reference point to the surface of the balloon, and using the formula V = Ed to calculate the voltage. It is also explained that the potential at a point a distance r from the center of the balloon (where r >= the balloon's radius) equals kq/r. The conversation also addresses the confusion regarding the distance d = 34.5cm and explains that it represents the work done to bring a unit +charge from infinity to the surface of
Bailey
the questioon is this:
A balloon of radius 34.5 cm is sprayed with a metallic coating so that the surface is conducting. A charge of 1.05 × 10-08 C is placed on the surface. What is the potential on the balloon's surface?

how i solved it:
-apply the guass law, which gives me the Electrical Field.

-apply the formula : Voltage = Ed ,

where E = electrical field , & d = distance traveled by charges (parrallel to field line)

n it turn out d = 34.5cm. this is where i don't get. why its d = 34.5cm?

its it b/c the positive charge move to the center, which travel a distance of 34.5cm? since if the surface is positively charged, it would repel the " + " charge to the centre & attact the " - " charge to surface...right?

Physics news on Phys.org
Bailey said:
how i solved it:
-apply the guass law, which gives me the Electrical Field.
No problem. You should get the field as a function of distance from the center, for points outside of the balloon: [itex]E = kq/r^2[/itex].
-apply the formula : Voltage = Ed ,
You must integrate from a reference point (usually infinity = 0 potential) to the balloon's surface.

where E = electrical field , & d = distance traveled by charges (parrallel to field line)

It's not. It turns out that the potential at a point a distance r from the center of the balloon (where r >= the balloon's radius) will equal kq/r.

Bailey said:

its it b/c the positive charge move to the center, which travel a distance of 34.5cm? since if the surface is positively charged, it would repel the " + " charge to the centre & attact the " - " charge to surface...right?
Electrical potential is the work done to bring a unit +charge from infinity to the surface of the sphere, which is:

[tex]\int_{\infty}^{34.5} E\cdot ds = kQ(\frac{1}{R}-\frac{1}{\infty}) = \frac{1}{4\pi \epsilon_0}(\frac{Q}{34.5}-0)[/tex]

AM

ah, ic, thanks guy. it seem to clear thing up quite a bit.

1. What is a charged metallic balloon?

A charged metallic balloon is a balloon that has been given an electric charge by rubbing it against another object, such as a wool cloth. This causes the balloon to become negatively charged, meaning it has an excess of electrons.

2. How does a charged metallic balloon work?

A charged metallic balloon works by the principle of electrostatics. When the balloon is rubbed against another object, it gains electrons and becomes negatively charged. This charge creates an electric field around the balloon, causing it to attract or repel other objects with an opposite or similar charge.

3. Why does my hair stick to a charged metallic balloon?

When your hair comes into contact with a charged metallic balloon, the negative charge on the balloon causes the positive charges in your hair to be attracted to it. This attraction causes your hair to stick to the balloon.

4. Can a charged metallic balloon cause harm?

In most cases, a charged metallic balloon does not pose a harm to humans. The charge on the balloon is typically too small to cause any significant damage. However, caution should be taken when dealing with large amounts of static electricity, as it can potentially cause a shock.

5. How long does a charged metallic balloon stay charged?

The length of time a charged metallic balloon stays charged depends on various factors, such as humidity and the type of material it is rubbed against. In dry conditions, the balloon may stay charged for several hours, while in humid conditions it may lose its charge more quickly.