Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Charged particle beams

1. Dec 23, 2013 #1
    Besides proton therapy: What are charged particle beams currently used for and what new uses could they have?.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 23, 2013 #2

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Apart from scientific and medical uses you mean?
    They are still used in cathode ray tubes to make pictures.

4. Dec 23, 2013 #3
    I didn't mean beside science, just beside medicine. I am very interested in engineering and experimental uses

5. Dec 24, 2013 #4

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Charged particle beams of all kinds are used to probe the fabric of space time and the nature of fundamental interactions - they are essential for challenging and improving upon the standard model in particle physcs... so you'll need to be more specific.

You've heard of CERN right? They just have a bunch of big accelerators - the LHC being the most famous.
    Charged particle beams are also used to study nuclear fusion and explore/image nanoscale structures ... the uses are very broad.

6. Dec 24, 2013 #5
    Okay, there is a contest to propose an experiment with a charged particle beam at CERN and am looking for ideas, I admit it.

7. Dec 24, 2013 #6

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Please provide a reference to this contest so we know what it is about.
    It's good to be up-front about this sort of thing - you may find a collaborator for instance, but it does mean you will get responces from people who won't mind being exploited like this so much.

8. Dec 24, 2013 #7

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Charged particle beams are used in:

1. Synchrotron light sources. These are the workhorse for many different areas due to the nature of the light they generate to study things ranging from material science to biology to pharmaceuticals.

2. Free electron lasers. Electron beams are used to generate extremely intense light, especially x-ray.

3. Scanning electron microscope. Electron beams are accelerated to several keV to look features not accessible with visible range light.

4. Scanners. Particle accelerators are used at airports create x-rays that scan bags and people. They are also used in doctors offices for the x-rays that you typically get.

Zz.

9. Dec 24, 2013 #8
    Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2017
  10. Dec 24, 2013 #9

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

See, this is why I hate being given only "partial" information when there is a bigger picture to the question. You should have stated this way in the very beginning! I've just wasted time describing to you stuff that are utterly irrelevant to the intent of your question.

If you wish to continue posting in this forum, please consider providing all the necessary information with your question, not just what you THINK we need to know.

Zz.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook