Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Charged Particle in Magnetic Field

1. Oct 19, 2005 #1
    We have a particle with electric charge [tex]e[/tex] that moves in a strong magnetic field [tex]B[/tex]. The particle is constrained to the (x,y)-plane, and the magnetic field is orthogonal to the plane, and constant with [tex]B[/tex] as the [tex]z[/tex]-component of [tex]\mathbf{B}[/tex].

Furthermore we have the rotationally symmetric form of the vector potential,

[tex]\mathbf{A} = -\frac{1}{2}\mathbf{r}\times \mathbf{B}[/tex]

the relation between between velovity and momentum

[tex]\mathbf{v} = \frac{1}{m}\left(\mathbf{p}-\frac{e}{c}\mathbf{A} \right)[/tex]

and the Hamiltonian

[tex]H = \frac{1}{2m}\left(\mathbf{p}-\frac{e}{c}\mathbf{A} \right)^2[/tex]

We now have to show by use of the equation of motion that, generally, the mechanical angular momentum

[tex]L_{mek} = m(xv_y-yv_x)[/tex]

is not a constant ot motion, whereas

[tex]L_{mek}+\left(\frac{eB}{2c} \right)r^2[/tex]

is conserved.

I'm really not sure where or how to start. Do I have to use the Lagrangian and the Euler-Lagrange equation? If so, how do I find out wether or not any of these expressions are constants of motion or not? Or am I way off?

Edit: minor correction to equations.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2005
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 19, 2005 #2

StatusX

Homework Helper

I don't know what you mean in your first equation by taking the cross product of 1/2 and B, but to answer your question, generally conserved quantities arise when the langrangian (or hamiltonian) is symmetric with respect to a change with one of the coordinates. Conservation of angular momentum comes from symmetry in rotations, ie, in the coordinate theta. Find a system of coordinates such that there is some theta-like coordinate with respect to which the lagrangian is invariant.

4. Oct 19, 2005 #3
    First off, I've corrected the first equation, now it hopefully makes more sense :smile:

Second, I'm afraid it didn't help me much, the rest of your post. You see, this is really a quantum mechanical course, so I'm a bit surprised we got a problem like this. Anyway, I don't know how to find "a system of coordinates such that there is some theta-like coordinate with respect to which the lagrangian is invariant", or even where to begin with all this. I don't think this is supposed to be such a difficult problem, but then again, everything is relative :wink:

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook