1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Charged particles in magnetic field

1. Mar 5, 2004 #1
    I've been trying to work this, but the way I'm substituting, I get no variables left...:-\ It's...freaky lol.
    The question is
    Suppose a new particle is discovered, and it is found that a beam of these particles passes undeflected through "crossed" electric and magnetic fields, where E=316 V/m and B=0.00127 T. If the eleectric field is turned off, the particles moe in the magnetic field in circular paths of radius r=2.97 cm. Determine q/m for the particles from these data. Answer in units of C/kg.

The way I worked this is I used the foruma v=E/B to find the velocity which vame out to be 248818.8976 m/s then I plugged the v into the equation m/q=(rB')/v and since we don't know v or q those remain as variables. Then I plug the values into Em = rB'Bq and so of course, no variables left.

*sighs* help anyone?
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 5, 2004 #2
    Neverrrrminnddddd lol

I used the v value that I got, and plugged it into r=(mv)/(qB)

:-D thanks ya'll
    do help with my other post? lol
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?