Charged Particles: MC question

In summary: After reading over the chapter I finally understand what that means. So it's pointing left. I think it's quite obvious from the drawing such that calculations are unecessary. Thanks for the help. I FINALLY understand what "The field of a negative charge points towards it and that of a positive charge points away from it" means. I'm just a little slow:yuck:.Thanks for the help. I thought the direction of E would be to the right. Apparently that's wrong... why?Why did you think it would be to the right? Why did you think it would be to the right?
Physics news on Phys.org
The field of a negative charge points towards it and that of a positive charge points away from it. The field in region III is the sum of the fiels produced by both charge. Knowing how the field varies with charge magnitude and distance (coulomb law), what can you conclude about which field, btw that of the + charge and that of the - charge, dominates in region III? Show us some work.

quasar987 said:
The field of a negative charge points towards it and that of a positive charge points away from it. The field in region III is the sum of the fiels produced by both charge. Knowing how the field varies with charge magnitude and distance (coulomb law), what can you conclude about which field, btw that of the + charge and that of the - charge, dominates in region III? Show us some work.

After reading over the chapter I finally understand what that means. So it's pointing left. I think it's quite obvious from the drawing such that calculations are unecessary. Thanks for the help. I FINALLY understand what "The field of a negative charge points towards it and that of a positive charge points away from it" means. I'm just a little slow:yuck: .

Thanks for the help :approve: .

hoseA said:
I thought the direction of E would be to the right. Apparently that's wrong... why?

Why did you think it would be to the right?

jtbell said:
Why did you think it would be to the right?
i assumed it would be to the right since i had a stupid preconception that protons move towards electrons and electrons were somehow fixed. For some reason I didn't consider the point p... rather just the two charges. Bottomline: i didn't have a good understanding since I didn't read the chapter 'til a few hrs. ago.

1. What are charged particles?

Charged particles are atoms or molecules that have an imbalance of electrons and protons, resulting in a net positive or negative charge.

2. How do charged particles interact with each other?

Charged particles interact with each other through electromagnetic forces. Like charges repel each other, while opposite charges attract.

3. What is the difference between positive and negative charged particles?

Positive charged particles have more protons than electrons, resulting in a net positive charge. Negative charged particles have more electrons than protons, resulting in a net negative charge.

4. How are charged particles used in scientific research?

Charged particles are used in various scientific research fields, such as particle accelerators, nuclear physics, and plasma physics. They are also used in medical treatments, such as radiation therapy.

5. How are charged particles produced?

Charged particles can be produced through various methods, such as radioactive decay, ionization, or by accelerating particles in a particle accelerator.