1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Charged particles

1. Apr 25, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Four charged particles are hung from the same position. At equilibrium, what will the angle between any two consecutive particles be (wrt common position)?

3. The attempt at a solution

I dont really get the question. Am I supposed to consider gravity as well? Can the particles go above the point of suspension? This question confuses me.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 25, 2007 #2

TOD

I think it MAY be trying to get to the atomic model. Like, they'll try to be as far apart as possible. However, since they're hung together, it's like the nucleus holding the electrons together... And 4 charged particles... all of the same charge?

Otherwise, the tetrahedral shape... So like, 60degrees? Which angle is the angle between two consecutive particles? Confused.

4. Apr 25, 2007 #3
    If you imagine a string from one of the particles to the common point, then there are four such strings. The angle between consecutive strings is whats been asked. As for the tetrahedron, the angle is 109'28".

5. Apr 26, 2007 #4
    Help! Somebody?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?