What is the significance of the 'kad' symbol in the charged-ring formula?

• Thread starter Jeff18
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Formula
In summary, the problem involves finding the electric field on the axis of a ring with a 10cm radius and a positive uniform density charge of 119,37 uC/m at a distance of 5cm from the center of the ring. The formula used is E=2pi kad sigma/(a^2+ d^2)^(3/2) where kad represents Coulomb's constant, the radius of the loop, and the distance along the loop's axis to the field point. It is recommended to understand and derive formulas rather than just memorizing them.
Jeff18

Homework Statement

A ring having a 10cm radius has a positive uniform density charge of 119,37 uC/m. Determine the electric field on the ring's axis at 5cm from the center of the ring.

Homework Equations

I used the equation E=2pi kad sigma/(a^2+ d^2)^(3/2). My question is related to the kad symbol. Does it have a real importance, and if so, what is it significance and how can I use it?!
Thanks

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Jeff, welcome to PF !:smile:

Jeff18 said:
I used the equation E=2pi kad sigma/(a^2+ d^2)^(3/2). My question is related to the kad symbol. Does it have a real importance, and if so, what is it significance and how can I use it?!

I think you'll find that you will have much more success in your Physics studies if you make an effort to understand the formulas and their derivations rather than just looking them up or memorizing them. In this case, it seems as though you have simply looked up a formula in your text or on the internet, without even taking the time to look at which symbols the author is using for which constants and variables; let alone applying any of the physics knowledge your course likely has been teaching to derive the formula yourself.

Now, that being said; [itex]kad[/itex] is not even a symbol, but rather 3 symbols ([itex]k[/itex], [itex]a[/itex] and [itex]d[/itex]) multiplied together. [tex]k=\frac{1}{4\pi\epsilon_0}[/tex] is Coulomb's constant, and the other two symbols are the radius of the loop and the distance along the loop's axis to the field point.

Again, I strongly recommend that you take the time to study the relevant chapters of your textbook and try your hand at deriving this formula yourself!

Thanks! I realized i made that mistake right after posting my question! The characters in my textbook were real tight! ;) Thanks also for the advice of understanding formulas rather than memorize them! Though that's what i usually do, it's always good to have someone remind you! ;)

What is the charged-ring formula problem?

The charged-ring formula problem is a mathematical problem that involves determining the distribution of electric charge on a ring. This problem is often used in physics and engineering to model the behavior of charged particles.

What are the key components of the charged-ring formula problem?

The key components of the charged-ring formula problem include the radius of the ring, the total charge on the ring, and the distance from the center of the ring to the point of interest.

How is the charged-ring formula problem solved?

The charged-ring formula problem is typically solved using the Coulomb's law, which states that the force between two charged particles is directly proportional to the product of their charges and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them.

What are some applications of the charged-ring formula problem?

The charged-ring formula problem has various applications, such as calculating the electric field strength at a point near a charged ring, determining the motion of charged particles in a ring-shaped particle accelerator, and modeling the behavior of planetary rings in space.

Are there any limitations to the charged-ring formula problem?

Yes, there are some limitations to the charged-ring formula problem. It assumes that the ring is perfectly circular and that the charge is uniformly distributed on the ring. In reality, these assumptions may not hold, which can affect the accuracy of the results.