1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Charged Ring

1. Feb 14, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Consider a charged ring of radius 20.6 cm and total charge 12 nC.

We are interested in the electric field a perpendicular distance z away from the center of the ring.

At what distance from the center of the ring does the electric field become maximum?

Hint: The field for a ring of charge is:

Ering = (1/4 pi eo) (zQ/(z^2+R^2)^(3/2))

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

When x = 0, the fields due to segments of the ring cancel out. As x -> infinity, the field falls with 1/x^2 behavior, so there has to be a maximum E for some x.

When adding up the fields due to each arc segment, you only have to add the x-components (along the axis) because the others will cancel out.

Here is what I get for E as a function of x:

E (x) = [k*Q /(x^2 + r^2)]*[x/sqrt(x^2+r^2)]
    The second term in brackets is the cosine of the angle that defines the component in the x direction.

That function must be differentiated to find where the field is a maximum.

1) is this right so far
    2) if so how do I differentiate this
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 14, 2010 #2
    Well if the field starts off at zero at x= 0 then increases, and then dies off again, then I think we would look at where dE/dx = 0 as this is where the slope of an E v. x graph would be maximum.

In the equation given, they give you the e-field function of this ring, with Z being your X? Or is Z supposed to be the radius of the ring, or is R the radius of the ring and not the distance from a specific segment of the ring of charge to the point of interest?
  4. Feb 14, 2010 #3
    In others words, r is usually the distance from some charge to some place you are looking for the E field. In the equation you were given, is r the radius of the charged ring, or the distance from the charge to the place of interest..?
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook