Charge Rod Experiment: Why Didn't My Hand Neutralize?

In summary, the conversation discusses the reason why a person's hand did not neutralize the charge formed in a rod during a charged rod experiment. It is suggested that the rod may be an insulator, causing difficulty for the charges to move through it. Further clarification is requested on the specific experiment and materials used, such as the glass-fur experiment or any other in the triboelectric series. Additionally, it is mentioned that the person may have been wearing shoes with insulating rubber soles which could also have contributed to the charges being unable to move.
dexter_95
In the charged rod experiment, why didn't my hand neutralize the charge formed in the rod, since my body is a conductor and it is connected to the Earth?

Physics news on Phys.org
Which charged rod experiment do you mean? Are you able to describe what happened (or didn't happen) more specifically?

If the rod is an insulator, I'd imagine it has something to do with the charge's inability to move through the rod. But you should probably describe the experiment and materials used.

Likes dexter_95
If you just hold charged insulator rod, the charges have a difficulty to move since one of property of insulators is a very poor conductivity.

Likes dexter_95
sk1105 said:
Which charged rod experiment do you mean? Are you able to describe what happened (or didn't happen) more specifically?
Glass-fur experiment or any similar one in the triboelectric series?

It might be something simple, such as you were wearing shoes with insulating rubber soles.

1. Why didn't my hand neutralize the charge rod?

This is because the charge rod experiment is designed to demonstrate the principles of static electricity. When you rub the charge rod with a material, such as a cloth, it creates an imbalance of positive and negative charges. Your hand, being neutral, cannot neutralize these charges.

2. Can my hand ever neutralize the charge rod?

No, your hand is not capable of neutralizing the charge rod in this experiment. However, if you were to touch the charge rod with a conductor, such as a metal object or another person's hand, the charges would be able to flow and neutralize each other.

3. What is the purpose of the charge rod experiment?

The purpose of the charge rod experiment is to demonstrate the principles of static electricity. It shows how charges can be transferred between objects through friction, and how charged objects can attract or repel each other.

4. Why does my hair stand up when I bring the charge rod near it?

This is due to the same principle of static electricity. When the charge rod is brought near your hair, it creates an imbalance of charges in your hair, causing it to be attracted to or repelled by the charge rod.

5. Is the charge rod experiment safe to perform?

Yes, the charge rod experiment is safe as long as you follow proper precautions. Make sure to use a small charge rod and avoid touching it with your bare hands. Also, do not rub the charge rod too vigorously as it may cause sparks or damage the material it is rubbed against.