How Do You Determine the Electric Potential Outside a Charged Sphere?

In summary, the conversation discusses determining the electric potential at a distance of 3.00m from the center of a sphere with a charge density of p(r)=Ar^(1/2). The potential can be calculated using Guass' Law by finding the total charge inside the sphere and treating it as a point charge located at the center.
defineNormal
Here's the question:

A sphere has a charge distributed throughout it such that the charge density goes as p(r)=Ar^(1/2). A=0.0200C/m^(7/12). The sphere has a radius of 2.00m, determine the electric potentioal at 3.00m from the center of the sphere?

well I got the charge density which is (0.0200C/m^(7/12))(2.00m)^(1/2)=0.0282 <---( not sure what unit would be C/m^(?)).

now E=(Q/a^3)(r), I solved for Q and ended up with Q=(E/r)(a^3), not 1) I am not sure I'm even on the right track, and 2) If I am do I use the charge density for E?, I'm really confused can someone help me? I don't where to start! ?

Physics news on Phys.org
OK - to get potential, in this case, since it's got spherical symmetry, you can exploit Guass' law

Take the total charge inside the sphere by integrating the charge density over the whole volume.

Then, by Guass' Law, the potential outside the sphere is the same as that for a point charge of the same total charge as the sphere, which is located at the centre of the sphere.

1. What is a charged sphere?

A charged sphere is a spherical object that has an excess or deficit of electrons, resulting in a net positive or negative charge, respectively. This charge can either be created artificially or occur naturally.

2. How is the charge of a sphere calculated?

The charge of a sphere can be calculated using the equation Q = 4πε0r2V, where Q is the charge, ε0 is the permittivity of free space (8.85 x 10-12 C2/N*m2), r is the radius of the sphere, and V is the potential difference between the sphere and its surroundings.

3. What is the electric field around a charged sphere?

The electric field around a charged sphere is directly proportional to the charge and inversely proportional to the distance from the sphere. This relationship is described by the equation E = kQ/r2, where E is the electric field, k is the Coulomb constant (8.99 x 109 N*m2/C2), Q is the charge, and r is the distance from the sphere.

4. How does the charge of a sphere affect its behavior?

The charge of a sphere affects its behavior in several ways. Firstly, a charged sphere will experience a force when placed in an electric field, either repelling or attracting other charged objects depending on its own charge. Additionally, the charge of a sphere can influence the distribution of charge on nearby objects through induction.

5. What are some real-world applications of charged spheres?

Charged spheres have various applications in the fields of physics and engineering. For example, they are used in electrostatic precipitators to remove dust and other particles from industrial exhaust gases. They are also used in particle accelerators to create high-energy collisions. In addition, charged spheres play a crucial role in the operation of electronic devices such as capacitors and Van de Graaff generators.