How Does a Cavity Inside a Charged Sphere Affect Electric Field Calculations?

In summary, an insulating sphere with a radius of 5.00 cm and a uniform volume charge density of 3.05 uC/m^3 has a spherical cavity with a radius of 2.00 cm cut out of its center. Using Gauss' Law, the electric field at 1.43 cm is found to be zero. For the electric field inside the spherical shell at 2.86 cm, the equation is E = (ρ(r^3-r_0^3))/(3εr^2), which yields a value of 2161.9 for the given values of r, r_0, ε, and ρ. However, there may be errors in the calculations. For the electric field
sonrie
An insulating sphere of radius 5.00 cm , centered at the origin, has a uniform volume charge density 3.05 uC/m^3 . There is a spherical cavity cut out of its center of radius 2.00 cm.

Well i know to use Gauss' Law:
Φ = ∫E∙dA = Q/ε
where Φ is the electric flux, E is the electric field, dA is a differential area on the closed surface S with an outward facing surface normal defining its direction, Q is the charge enclosed by the surface, and ε is the electric constant.

1.) What is the electric field at 1.43 cm ?
I found that to be zero.

2.) What is the electric field inside the spherical shell at 2.86 cm ?

Q = (4π/3)*(0.0286^3-0.0200^3)*3.05x10^-6C
The surface area integrated over is: S = 4π*0.0286^2. Hence:
E = Q/εS = (0.0286^3-0.0200^3)*3.05x10^-6/(3ε*0.028...

for surface area i get 1.03*10^-2, for Q i get 4.188*1.53*10^-5*3.05*10^-6= 1.95*10^-10
Then i divide Q/S which is 1.90*10^-12. but i keep getting it wrong. what am i doing wrong?

3.) What is the electric field outside the spherical shell at 6.75 cm ?
Q = (4π/3)*(0.0500^3-0.0200^3)*3.05x10^-6C
The surface area integrated over is: S = 4π*0.0675^2. Hence:
E = Q/εS = (0.0500^3-0.0200^3)*3.05x10^-6/(3ε*0.067...

I did the same as part two equations and i get 3.89*10^-9 which is wrong also. Help!

3. The Attempt at a Solution [/

Physics news on Phys.org
1) is right, since there is no charge in the cavity.

For the others, I'm getting a headache reading all the digits :p It might be easier to spot a mistake if you write it out in symbols. I'll try that now.

Right,

2) After using gauss' law you should find:
[tex]E = \frac{Q}{\epsilon A}[/tex]
Q is in this case dependend on the charge density rho and the volume V:
[tex]Q = \rho V = \rho \frac{4 \pi}{3}(r^3 - {r_0}^3)[/tex] where r is 2.86 cm and r_0 is the radius of the cavity (2 cm)

[tex]E = \frac{\rho \frac{4 \pi}{3}(r^3 - {r_0}^3)}{\epsilon 4 \pi r^2} = \frac{\rho (r^3 - {r_0}^3)}{3 \epsilon r^2}[/tex]

Entering values:
[tex]r = 0.0286, r_0 = 0.02, \epsilon = 8.85 \times 10^{-12}, \rho = 3.05 \times 10^{-6}[/tex] yields:
[tex]E = 2161.9[/tex] (provided I didn't make any errors while entering the values in my calculator :p )

What should the answer be according to you?

Thanks A Bunch!

1. What is a charged sphere with cavity?

A charged sphere with cavity is a conducting sphere that has a hollow space inside it. The sphere can be positively or negatively charged, and the cavity is typically created by removing a small portion of the sphere's material.

2. What is the purpose of a charged sphere with cavity in science?

In science, a charged sphere with cavity is used to study the effects of electric fields on conductors and insulators. It can also be used to demonstrate the principles of electrostatics, such as charge distribution and electric potential.

3. How does a charged sphere with cavity behave differently from a solid charged sphere?

A charged sphere with cavity behaves differently from a solid charged sphere because the electric field inside the cavity is zero. This is due to the principle of superposition, where the electric fields from the charged sphere and the cavity cancel each other out inside the cavity.

4. What factors affect the magnitude of the electric field inside a charged sphere with cavity?

The magnitude of the electric field inside a charged sphere with cavity is affected by the charge on the sphere, the size of the cavity, and the distance from the center of the sphere to the point of interest. It is also affected by the dielectric constant of the material surrounding the sphere.

5. How is the electric potential inside a charged sphere with cavity related to the electric potential outside the sphere?

The electric potential inside a charged sphere with cavity is equal to the electric potential outside the sphere at the same distance from the center. This is because the electric potential is a function of distance and does not depend on the shape or size of the conductor.