Electric Field Inside a Charged Conductor: Explanation Needed

In summary, an electric field is a region in space where an electric force is exerted on charged particles. It is represented by electric field lines and is created when a conductor is charged. The electric field inside a charged conductor is zero due to the repulsion and attraction of electric charges. When an external electric field is applied, the charges on the surface of the conductor redistribute to cancel out the field, resulting in a net electric field of zero inside the conductor. The electric field inside a charged conductor will always be zero, as any excess charges will distribute themselves to cancel out any external field.
Samson4
I understand that there is no electric field inside a charged conductor, but; I don't understand why a connection to ground made on the inner surface of said sphere will flow current. Is this not correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
In nature there are no spheres, but there are thin-walled hollow balls f.e. . Could you draw that grounded conductor rather large scale?

I can if you'd like. I am talking more about running a ground wire into the dome of a van de graff generator. If the conductor was properly shielded and insulated, would it in fact discharge a charged dome?

1. What is an electric field?

An electric field is a region in space where an electric force is exerted on charged particles. It is represented by electric field lines that show the direction and strength of the force.

2. How is an electric field created inside a charged conductor?

When a conductor is charged, the electric charges distribute themselves on the surface of the conductor in such a way that the electric field inside the conductor is zero. This is due to the repulsion between like charges and the attraction between opposite charges.

3. Why is the electric field inside a charged conductor zero?

The electric charges on the surface of a conductor create an electric field that cancels out any external electric field that may be present inside the conductor. This results in a net electric field of zero inside the conductor.

4. What happens to the electric field inside a charged conductor when an external electric field is applied?

When an external electric field is applied to a charged conductor, the electric charges on the surface of the conductor redistribute themselves to cancel out the external field. This results in a new net electric field of zero inside the conductor.

5. Can the electric field inside a charged conductor ever be non-zero?

No, the electric field inside a charged conductor will always be zero. This is because any excess charges on the surface of the conductor will always distribute themselves in a way that cancels out any external electric field, resulting in a net electric field of zero inside the conductor.