Can I Use a Different Charger for Xbox?

• Thread starter krak
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Charger
In summary, the Xbox will work with a simple replacement power cord from the wall, but a higher amp number on the charger may be better.
krak
Sorry if this question is really stupid. I tried to look for calculators but wanted to be sure. I have an original Xbox but no power cord for it, however I have an extra power cord for something else that fits perfectly. I want to know if I can safely use it.

Xbox: 100 V - 127 V ~ 2.1A
50/60 HZ

Charger: 10A 125V

The volts falls within the range of the Xbox range. Is a higher amp number on the charger okay though?

Thanks in advance

Engineering news on Phys.org
That's not always easy to say, because some supplies tend to "run away" when operate at low load conditions, or they may not be a type that regulates at all. The simplest solution is to purchase an OEM power supply, but I hate spending money on these things.
So, if I were in you're shoes, I'd take the ol' volt meter, a bit of wire, maybe some tape, and bring the connection out where you can measure it and put it under a bit of load. Just as a quick test, I'd load it with a small incandescent bulb, i.e. a 20 watt from the chandelier :~), then follow that with a large bulb, say a 100watt. If the voltage stayed within 1% or so and is within the operating range of the box (plus the connector polarity is correct!) then, I'd go for it.

Best of luck ( and please remember, I'm frugal, but not always sensible! )

Mike

I received a ping from another memeber noting that the Xbox has two supply voltages. In that case, this is a grossly oversimplified explanation. I'd probably stick with an original equipment replacement.

Mike

The original Xbox simply takes normal 120VAC from the wall; its power supply is inside the unit. The 360 has the power supply out side, as part of the cord (inline). If your replacement cord is just a simple cord meant for use in bringing 120VAC from the wall to a device then it should be fine. However, you mention a "charger". Can you explain more what you mean by this, or perhaps post a picture? Maybe it's from an inline power supply with a detachable cord, and you are reading the specifications from the power supply. If that is the case then it is fine to use the cord. There should be no transformer (powerbrick, wallwart, etc) between the wall and the Xbox.

1. Can I use any charger for my Xbox controller?

No, it is not recommended to use any charger for your Xbox controller. It is important to use the charger specifically designed for your Xbox controller to ensure proper charging and to avoid potential damage to your controller.

2. Can I use a phone charger for my Xbox controller?

No, it is not recommended to use a phone charger for your Xbox controller. Phone chargers have different voltage and amperage ratings compared to Xbox controller chargers, which can potentially damage your controller.

3. Can I use a different brand's charger for my Xbox controller?

It is not recommended to use a different brand's charger for your Xbox controller. Each brand may have different specifications for their chargers, and using a different brand's charger could potentially damage your controller.

4. Can I use a USB cable to charge my Xbox controller?

Yes, you can use a USB cable to charge your Xbox controller. However, it is important to make sure that the USB cable is compatible with your controller and that it is not being overcharged. It is also recommended to use a USB cable that is designed specifically for gaming devices.

5. Can I use a different charger for my Xbox One and Xbox Series X/S controllers?

No, it is not recommended to use a different charger for your Xbox One and Xbox Series X/S controllers. While they may have similar charging ports, the voltage and amperage ratings may be different, which can potentially damage your controllers. It is important to use the charger specifically designed for each controller.