1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Charges and force.

1. Jan 12, 2008 #1
    The text is following:
    Two balls are hanged on a stative from the same point with 5 cm threads. If they both had the same charge they would be 6 cm away from each other. Both balls weigh 10 mg. Find the charges.

I think the first step is to find the amount of force needed, but I don´t know how. Then I should be able to find the charges from F=k*q1*q2/r*r. I know it´s easy but could please someone tell me what force I should calculate?
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 12, 2008 #2

Homework Helper

What are the forces acting on the balls? Draw a free body diagram.

Note: For future reference, there is a Homework Forum for homework questions.
  4. Jan 13, 2008 #3
    I think the forces are gravitational. The balls interact with each other. F=G*M*m/r*r and both of the balls are lifted by one cm. But how can I find force when there is no time? Force equals mass * acceleration? The interaction between balls might be so small that it´s not relevant.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?