Charges at the corners of a square.

In summary: I forgot to write a denominator for my fractions.In summary, the electric field experienced by charge q in a system of four positive charges located on the corners of a square can be determined by summing up the x components from A->q and B->q and the y components from B->q and C->q, and using the Pythagorean theorem to find the magnitude. The direction can then be found by taking the tangent of the y-component over the x-component. The expressions for the x and y components should have the correct denominators of a^2 and (2a^2)^0.5, respectively.
msemsey

Homework Statement

Four positive charges are located on the corners of a square of side-length a.
The charges are A=4, B=2, C=8
4q----a----q
|------------|
a-----------a
|------------|
2q----a----8q

Determine the magnitude and direction of the electric field experienced by charge q in terms of q, a, and ke.

Homework Equations

Ex = [q1*q2/(4*∏*εo*a^2)]cosθ
Ey = [q1*q2/(4*∏*εo*a^2)]sinθ

The Attempt at a Solution

Ex = 4keq2/a^2 + 2keq2/[(2a2)^.5]cos45
Ey = [2keq2/(a*21/2)]sin45 + 8keq2/a2

I know I have to sum up the x components from A->q and B->q for the x component of the vector, and then sum up the y components from B ->q and C->q for the y component and then use the pythagorean theorum to find the magnitude. For the direction I have to take the tangent of the y-component/x-component. I am just confused because there aren't any values given. Would the above be correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
msemsey said:
Ex = 4keq2/a^2 + 2keq2/[(2a2)^.5]cos45
Ey = [2keq2/(a*21/2)]sin45 + 8keq2/a2
Check the expressions for the denominators.

TSny said:
Check the expressions for the denominators.

I just went on fearofphysics.com (lifesaver) and have realized my error. I had the distance squared for one fraction, but not the other one. Thank you very much.

Edit: It WOULD be one of those errors.

1. What is the concept of "charges at the corners of a square"?

The concept of "charges at the corners of a square" refers to a scenario in which four charges of equal magnitude and opposite signs are placed at the corners of a square shape. This arrangement creates an electric field in the space surrounding the square.

2. What causes the charges at the corners of a square to attract or repel each other?

The charges at the corners of a square attract or repel each other due to the fundamental force of electricity. Opposite charges (positive and negative) attract each other, while like charges (positive and positive or negative and negative) repel each other.

3. How does the distance between the charges affect the strength of the electric field?

The strength of the electric field between the charges at the corners of a square is inversely proportional to the distance between them. This means that the farther the charges are apart, the weaker the electric field will be, and vice versa.

4. What is the relationship between the magnitude of the charges and the strength of the electric field?

The strength of the electric field is directly proportional to the magnitude of the charges at the corners of a square. This means that the larger the magnitude of the charges, the stronger the electric field will be.

5. How can the direction of the electric field be determined in this scenario?

The direction of the electric field can be determined by drawing a vector from each charge to a point in the space between them. The direction of the electric field is in the same direction as these vectors, pointing away from positive charges and towards negative charges.