Where Should the Third Charge Be Placed to Achieve Zero Net Electric Force?

In summary, the problem involves three point charges along the y-axis, with two charges having known positions and charges, and the third charge's position needing to be determined. By using the equation for electric field and setting it equal to zero, we can solve for the location along the y-axis where the net electric force on the third charge is zero. This location will be where the third charge is located.
Gummibare610

Homework Statement

Three point charges lie in a straight line along the y-axis. A charge of q1 is -9 microcouloumbs at y = 6 m and a charge of q2 is -8 microcoulombs at y = -4m. The net electric force on the third point charge is zero. Where is this charge located.

Homework Equations

Fe = k (q1*q2/r^2)

The Attempt at a Solution

Fe = k (q1*q2/r^2)
= (9*10^9)((9*10^-6)(8*10^-6)/(10m)^2))
= 6.5*10^-3 N

Then i attempted to plug in this value for Fe to receive the r, and the location, but
i don't know which two charges i had to use.

Thanks,

SLM

Physics news on Phys.org
What's the equation for the electric field? Do you know how to add electric fields induced by different charges?

I know how to add different electrical forces, but the problem i have is finding the location of it, instead of the force.

Gummibare610 said:
I know how to add different electrical forces, but the problem i have is finding the location of it, instead of the force.

So you've added the two equations for the electric fields of the first two charges together, giving you an equation for the overall electric field E as a function of y (considering both charges). What location along y produces a zero electric field? (Hint: you need to set something to zero and solve for y.)

If a charge is in a zero electric field, what can you say about the net electric force acting on that charge? :wink:

I would first clarify the problem statement and make sure that all the given information is accurate and complete. From the given information, it seems that there are only two point charges (q1 and q2) and the third charge's location is unknown. The net electric force on the third charge is zero, which means that the third charge must be located in a position where the electric forces from q1 and q2 are equal in magnitude but opposite in direction.

To determine the location of the third charge, we can use the equation for electrostatic force between two point charges, Fe = k (q1*q2/r^2). Since the net force on the third charge is zero, we can set the forces from q1 and q2 equal to each other and solve for r.

Fe from q1 = k (q1*q3/r^2) = (9*10^9) * (-9*10^-6) * (q3/r^2)
Fe from q2 = k (q2*q3/r^2) = (9*10^9) * (-8*10^-6) * (q3/r^2)

Since these two forces must be equal, we can set them equal to each other and solve for r:

(9*10^9) * (-9*10^-6) * (q3/r^2) = (9*10^9) * (-8*10^-6) * (q3/r^2)
-9*10^-6 * q3 = -8*10^-6 * q3
q3 cancels out, leaving us with:

r = 8/9 * (6m + 4m) = 6.67m

This means that the third charge must be located at a distance of 6.67 meters from q1 and 4 meters from q2, on the y-axis. We can also calculate the magnitude of this third charge by plugging in the value of r into the equation:

Fe = k (q1*q3/r^2)
6.5*10^-3 N = (9*10^9) * (-9*10^-6) * (q3/6.67m)^2
q3 = -5.36*10^-6 C

Therefore, the third charge must be located at y = -5.36*10^-6 C

1. What is the difference between positive and negative charges?

Positive and negative charges refer to the type of electrical charge that a particle possesses. Positive charges, also known as protons, have a positive charge and are attracted to negative charges. Negative charges, also known as electrons, have a negative charge and are attracted to positive charges. This attraction between positive and negative charges is what creates electric forces.

2. How do charged particles interact with each other?

Charged particles interact with each other through electric forces. Like charges repel each other, meaning positive charges repel positive charges and negative charges repel negative charges. Unlike charges attract each other, meaning positive charges attract negative charges and vice versa. The strength of this interaction is determined by the distance between the particles and the amount of charge they possess.

3. Can charges be created or destroyed?

No, charges cannot be created or destroyed. According to the law of conservation of charge, the total amount of electric charge in a closed system remains constant. This means that if a charged object gains or loses electrons, another object in the system must gain or lose an equal amount of electrons in order to maintain the overall balance of charge.

4. How is the strength of an electric force measured?

The strength of an electric force is measured using Coulomb's law. This law states that the magnitude of the electric force between two charged objects is directly proportional to the product of their charges and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them. This means that the closer the charged objects are and the greater their charges, the stronger the electric force between them.

5. What is the difference between electric force and gravitational force?

Electric force and gravitational force are both types of forces that act on objects, but they have some key differences. Electric forces only act on charged particles, while gravitational forces act on all objects with mass. Additionally, electric forces can be either attractive or repulsive, while gravitational forces are always attractive. The strength of electric forces is also much stronger than the strength of gravitational forces.