Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Charges: Electirc forces

1. Apr 6, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Three point charges lie in a straight line along the y-axis. A charge of q1 is -9 microcouloumbs at y = 6 m and a charge of q2 is -8 microcoulombs at y = -4m. The net electric force on the third point charge is zero. Where is this charge located.

2. Relevant equations

Fe = k (q1*q2/r^2)

3. The attempt at a solution

Fe = k (q1*q2/r^2)
    = (9*10^9)((9*10^-6)(8*10^-6)/(10m)^2))
    = 6.5*10^-3 N

Then i attempted to plug in this value for Fe to receive the r, and the location, but
    i don't know which two charges i had to use.

Thanks,

SLM

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 6, 2010 #2

ideasrule

Homework Helper

What's the equation for the electric field? Do you know how to add electric fields induced by different charges?

4. Apr 6, 2010 #3
    I know how to add different electrical forces, but the problem i have is finding the location of it, instead of the force.

5. May 3, 2010 #4

collinsmark

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

So you've added the two equations for the electric fields of the first two charges together, giving you an equation for the overall electric field E as a function of y (considering both charges). What location along y produces a zero electric field? (Hint: you need to set something to zero and solve for y.)

If a charge is in a zero electric field, what can you say about the net electric force acting on that charge? :wink:

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook