Charges , electric potential

In summary, the speaker is a computer science student who is new to physics and is having trouble understanding the material. They took a physics course three years ago but cannot remember anything, and are currently studying electric fields, Gauss law, electric potential, and capacitance from the book "Physics for Scientists and Engineers, 6th Edn. (R.A.Serway)". They are wondering if they need to go back to physics 1 to understand these concepts, and are asking for help with some questions. They are grateful for the replies and encouragement, and have already found help for the questions.
newbieInPhyis
Hi , am a computer science student , am newbie at physics , and am train to learn but no help , though i took a course in [physics 1] before 3 yrs and i can't remember anything, and now i am taking physics 2 , i took so far , electric fields , Gauss law ,Electric potential , capacitance . book >> [Physics for Scientists and Engineers, 6th Edn. (R.A.Serway) ]

Does it requires me to go back to physics 1 to understand those ?
please help :cry:

and if anyone can help me or solve these questions(i have no clue about them) i would be appreciated .

Phy1.png

Physics news on Phys.org
You could get by without out knowing mechanics fairly well. If your learning Electricity and magnetism you could get by without knowing mechanics.

Thank you cragar for taking the time to reply , that encourages me to go and study , and about the questions , i got them solved from a friend , again thank you .

And thanks to whom working on this forum , keep it up guys ! .<3

1. What is electric charge?

Electric charge is a fundamental physical property of matter that causes it to experience a force when placed in an electromagnetic field. It is measured in coulombs (C) and can be either positive or negative.

2. How do charges interact with each other?

Charges interact with each other through the electromagnetic force. Like charges repel each other, while opposite charges attract each other.

3. What is the difference between electric potential and electric potential energy?

Electric potential is the electric potential energy per unit charge at a specific point in space, while electric potential energy is the energy that a charged object possesses due to its position in an electric field.

4. How can electric potential be calculated?

Electric potential can be calculated by dividing the electric potential energy by the charge at a specific point in space. It can also be calculated by integrating the electric field over a distance.

5. What are conductors and insulators?

Conductors are materials that allow electric charges to move freely, while insulators are materials that do not allow electric charges to move easily. The ability of a material to conduct or insulate depends on its atomic and molecular structure.