Charges in 1-D (homework help please)

• Thread starter kkurutz
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Charges
In summary, the electric field due to the two charges is zero at a point midway between the charges on the x-axis.
kkurutz
Hi, here is a homework problem which I'm absolutely stuck on.

A charge of -3.2 × 10-9 C is at the origin and a charge of 7.3 × 10-9 C is on the x-axis at x = 3 m. At what location on the x-axis is the electric field zero?

I've asked my professor for help on this, and his explanation wasn't very good. What I got out of it was the following. The location will exist somewhere to the left of the origin. Also, this may be wrong, but am I supposed to solve for r in the following equation: kQ1\r^2 = kQ2 \ (r^2 +3)? I've tried that, but a bunch of the answers I come up w/ seem not to be right. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
Check your equation... first, for consistency with units.
What is the reasoning behind that equation?

Well, I could be wrong, but it looks to me like E=0 only at +/- infinity for that set of charges.

Remember that E=-GRAD(V), and that for point charges, V = Q/[4PI*epsilon0*r] for each charge. So you can plot V=f(x) for the two point charges in your problem... You will get V = negative infinity at x=0, and V= positive infinity at x=3m. Between x=0 and x=3m, V comes up from the negative assymptote and heads for the positive assymptote at x=3. Past x=3, V comes down from the positive assymptote and heads to 0 as x-->infinity. For x<0, V comes up from the negative assymptote at x=0 and heads to -0 as X-->negative infinity.

Since E=-GRAD(V), V has to stop changing with respect to x for E=0 to be true. That only seems to happen at +/- infinity... I wonder what I'm missing here... Anybody?

Note that the two charges have different magnitudes.

I honestly have no idea what the reasoning behind the equation is. That's just what I got out of my professors explanation. What I got out of it was that I needed to set the two equal to each other as I did and solve for 'r'. Whether or not that's right, I have no idea. I'm completely lost w/ this question. I don't really even know where to begin to be honest.

By now, you should know that an electric charge has an associated electric field, directed radially away from the charge (assumed positive, otherwise it is directed towards. When you have two charges in space, their electric field patterns are added vectorially... yielding the "electric field due to those two charges". Your job is to locate a certain point [on the line through those charges] where the "electric field due to those two charges" is zero. How does this point have electric field zero? Well... it must be that the electric field vector from one charge plus that of the other charge is the zero vector. How can two vectors add up to be the zero vector?

robphy said:
Note that the two charges have different magnitudes.
Interesting. Yeah, I considered that at first, but dismissed it too early. The potential V actually goes positive for parts of the negative x axis. To the OP -- now that you know that V(x) goes positive for part of the negative x axis, how can you use a differentiation of V(x) to find where E=0?

It's likely that the OP has not studied the electric potential yet.
Using the electric field alone, the problem can be solved with simple algebra... calculus is not necessary.

Some good bookkeeping may be needed because of the three regions created by the two charges on this line. With a little physical intuition, one can pick out the region where E=0.

1. What is the definition of charge in 1-D?

Charge in 1-D refers to the electric charge of a particle or object that is moving in one dimension. It is a fundamental property of matter and is measured in units of Coulombs (C).

2. How do you calculate the net charge in a 1-D system?

To calculate the net charge in a 1-D system, you need to add up all of the individual charges in the system. Positive charges are given a positive value and negative charges are given a negative value. If the sum is positive, the net charge is positive; if the sum is negative, the net charge is negative.

3. What is the difference between positive and negative charges?

Positive charges are particles that have lost electrons and have a deficit of negative charge. Negative charges are particles that have gained electrons and have an excess of negative charge. These charges are attracted to each other, while like charges repel each other.

4. How do you determine the direction of the electric field in a 1-D system?

The direction of the electric field in a 1-D system can be determined by the direction of the force that a positive test charge would experience if placed in the system. If the force is towards the positive charge, the electric field is directed towards the positive charge. If the force is towards the negative charge, the electric field is directed towards the negative charge.

5. Can you have a net charge of zero in a 1-D system?

Yes, it is possible to have a net charge of zero in a 1-D system. This occurs when the total positive and negative charges in the system cancel each other out. This can happen if there are equal amounts of positive and negative charges present, or if the charges are distributed evenly in the system.