What happens to cations and electrons during and after a gas discharge event?

In summary, the conversation discusses the production and fate of cations and electrons during and after a gas discharge event. The majority of available information only covers the behavior of electrons during ionization and their impact on the anode, with no mention of cations. The conversation speculates on the potential actions of cations, including their potential impact on the discharge and the distinct ozone odor associated with open air discharge. The question remains as to whether this explanation is in line with current understanding of physics.
vis viva
As I understand both cations and electrons are produced between cathode and anode in a gas discharge, but what is their imminent fate, during and post discharge event? The majority of information I could find only covers the electrons from the time of the first ionization event to impacting the anode, but no word about what happens afterwards, and the cations are not mentioned at all either.

For the purpose of education, let's assume open air discharge.

For reference, taken from wiki
640px-Electron_avalanche.gif

Physics news on Phys.org
Ok, then I will venture a guess myself, let me know if I need to apply for a tuition refund.

I'm guessing that if there is a cation at cathode the exact same moment an electrons impacts the anode, then electron will be absorbed by the anode and the cation will suck out an electron from the cathode.

I also guess the above would satisfy nature's accountant in theory, but what about the distinct ozone odor associated with an open air discharge? That would either indicate to me that there could be unaccounted electrons in the circuit and/or that some electrons and cations can leave the electric field without recombining.

Would that be a plausible explanation in accordance with prevailing physics?

What is a gas discharge?

A gas discharge is a phenomenon that occurs when an electric current is passed through a gas, causing the gas to become ionized and emit light. This can be seen in neon lights, fluorescent bulbs, and lightning.

How do charges behave in a gas discharge?

In a gas discharge, charges (electrons and ions) are accelerated by the electric field and collide with gas molecules, causing them to become ionized. The ions and electrons then move towards the opposite electrodes, creating a flow of current.

What factors affect the behavior of charges in a gas discharge?

The behavior of charges in a gas discharge is affected by the type of gas, the pressure of the gas, and the strength of the electric field. Different gases will have different ionization potentials, and higher pressures will result in more collisions between charges and gas molecules.

What is the difference between a direct current (DC) and an alternating current (AC) gas discharge?

In a DC gas discharge, the electric current flows in one direction, while in an AC gas discharge, the current alternates between flowing in opposite directions. This can result in different patterns of light emission and can also affect the behavior of charges in the gas.

What are some practical applications of gas discharges?

Gas discharges have many practical applications, including in lighting (such as neon lights and fluorescent bulbs), plasma displays, and gas lasers. They are also used in various industrial processes, such as in the production of semiconductors and in air purification systems.