Charges in two plate capacitor

In summary, the conversation discusses a scenario where two plates are charged to a voltage V with capacitance C. An electron is released between the plates and moves towards the positive plate, adding to the positive charge on the plate and resulting in a decrease in the capacitor's voltage. The conversation also touches on the concept of positive charge and how it relates to the movement of electrons in this scenario.
anhnha
I saw this section somewhere in the forum:

Picture 2 plates charged to a voltage V, w/ capacitance C. Of course Q = C*V. An electron is placed in between the plates & released, & it moves towards the positive plate. Said electron with its negative charge now adds to the positive charge already on the plate resulting in a decrease in the cap voltage.

Can you help me understand the bold part?
What does "positive charge" mean here? I think it should be "positive ion".

Physics news on Phys.org
anhnha said:
I saw this section somewhere in the forum:

Picture 2 plates charged to a voltage V, w/ capacitance C. Of course Q = C*V. An electron is placed in between the plates & released, & it moves towards the positive plate. Said electron with its negative charge now adds to the positive charge already on the plate resulting in a decrease in the cap voltage.

Can you help me understand the bold part?
What does "positive charge" mean here? I think it should be "positive ion".

while that would be a specific example of how to get a positive charge, it is not the only way.
the plate is a solid lattice made up of protons and electrons.
to be positive, it must have fewer electrons than protons.
in the model being used here, the "missing electron" is treated as an isolated positive charge that is free to move around.

What is a two plate capacitor?

A two plate capacitor is an electrical device that stores energy in the form of electric charge. It consists of two conducting plates separated by an insulating material, called a dielectric.

How does a two plate capacitor work?

A two plate capacitor works by creating an electric field between the two plates. When a voltage is applied, one plate becomes positively charged and the other becomes negatively charged. The electric field between the plates stores energy in the form of electric charge.

What factors affect the charge in a two plate capacitor?

The charge in a two plate capacitor is affected by the voltage applied, the distance between the plates, the area of the plates, and the type of dielectric material used. The higher the voltage, the closer the plates, and the larger the plate area, the greater the charge that can be stored. Different dielectric materials have different abilities to hold charge.

What is the unit of charge used in a two plate capacitor?

The unit of charge used in a two plate capacitor is the coulomb (C). This is a unit of electrical charge and is equivalent to the charge of 6.24 x 10^18 electrons. It is named after French physicist Charles-Augustin de Coulomb.

What is the purpose of a two plate capacitor?

A two plate capacitor has many purposes, including storing energy in electronic devices, filtering out unwanted signals, and smoothing out power fluctuations in electrical systems. It is also used in various scientific experiments and in the development of new technologies.