Find Magnitude of Force at Origin from 4 Charges

• Thread starter NINHARDCOREFAN
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Charges
In summary, the conversation discusses the arrangement of four charges in the (x,y) plane and finding the resulting force on the -4nC charge at the origin. The question asks for help in determining the forces using the equation F=(K*q1*q2)/r(squared) and finding the direction and components of the vectors. The magnitude of the resulting force is calculated using the radii R1(squared) = 17, R2(squared) = 0, R3(squared) = 34, and R4(squared) = 41. The angles are correctly calculated as -14.04, 30.96, and 51.3 degrees, but the direction and
NINHARDCOREFAN
Four charges are arranged in (x,y) plane:
-3nC at (-4, 1)
-4nC at (0, 0)
-6nC at (5, 3)
-7nC at (4, 5)

Find the magnitude of the resulting force charge at the origin(0, 0).

I know how to find radius:
R1(squared) = 17
R2(squared) = 0
R3(squared) = 34
R4(squared) = 41

But I don't know which charges to use in the equation to find four different forces:
F=(K*q1*q2)/r(sqared)
K = 8.99 * 10^9

Can someone please help me?

Physics news on Phys.org
Find the field at the origin by other charges exluding the one which is placed at the origin(* NOTE *) Add vectorially

posted the question wrong

Find the magnitude of the resulting force on the -4nC charge at the origin.

And radius' are suppose to be from that charge, so they are only 3 radius.

Yes , but F is vector u can not add only magnitudes it has to be done in proper manner

Tell me if I'm doing this right, I'm getting big numbers thta's why I have a doubt:

F1 = 8.99e9*4e-9*3e-9/17 = 6.346e-9
F2 = 8.99e9*4e-9*6e-9/34 = 6.346e-9
F3 = 8.99e9*4e-9*5e-9/41 = 4.385e-9

Ang1= tan^-1(1/-4) = -14.04
Ang2= tan^-1(3/5) = 30.96
Ang3= tan^-1(5/4) = 51.3

Am I right so far?

Let the forces be in form Kq1q2/r^2

Yes angles are correct but what are the directions of these vectors??

After finding the direction resolve the components along x&y axis And now add the components

What is the formula for finding the magnitude of force at the origin from 4 charges?

The formula for finding the magnitude of force at the origin from 4 charges is F = k * (q₁q₂/r₁₂² + q₁q₃/r₁₃² + q₁q₄/r₁₄² + q₂q₃/r₂₃² + q₂q₄/r₂₄² + q₃q₄/r₃₄²), where k is the Coulomb's constant, q₁-q₄ are the four charges, and r₁₂-r₃₄ are the distances between the charges and the origin.

How do I determine the direction of the force at the origin from 4 charges?

To determine the direction of the force, you can use the principle of superposition. This means that you can add up the individual forces from each charge, taking into account their direction and magnitude. The resulting vector will represent the direction of the total force at the origin.

What happens to the magnitude of force at the origin if the distance between the charges and the origin increases?

If the distance between the charges and the origin increases, the magnitude of force at the origin decreases. This is because the force between two charges is inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them. As the distance increases, the force decreases.

Can the magnitude of force at the origin from 4 charges be negative?

Yes, the magnitude of force at the origin can be negative. This indicates that the force is attractive, meaning that the charges are of opposite signs and are pulling towards each other. A positive magnitude indicates a repulsive force, where the charges are of the same sign and are pushing away from each other.

How can I use the magnitude of force at the origin to determine the stability of a system of charges?

If the magnitude of force at the origin is greater than zero, the system of charges is unstable. This means that the charges will repel each other and the system will be in a state of constant flux. If the magnitude of force is equal to zero, the system is in equilibrium and is considered stable. This means that the charges are balanced and there is no net force acting on the system.