Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Charging a capacitor

1. Jan 8, 2008 #1
    I was doing an experiment to determine the capacitance of a capacitor in a circuit with a particular resistor R. This was also set up to an oscillator and oscillscope.

Now t=RC, where t is the time constant. At a time of t, the value of V across the capacitor is .63(V_0), says my guide. So if I know V_0, I could workout out the time constant t, and hence the capacitance.

But what is V_0? The guide does not state. I am confused, and think I may have done the experiment wrong. I have an averaged value of the max V across the capacitor and the time it took to reachhis value if that's any help....

Is this value of V_0?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 8, 2008 #2

pam

V_0 is the initial voltage on the capacitor before it was connected to the resistor.
    It usually equals the voltage of the charging battery.

4. Jan 13, 2008 #3
    v_0 is the maximum value of potential difference which can which can occur between theplates of the capacitor and is equal to the EMF of the battery

5. Apr 15, 2008 #4
    Please help if you have experienced about capacitance for ARINC 429 signal?

6. Apr 15, 2008 #5
    Please help if you have experienced about capacitance for ARINC 429 signal? this signal taken time 1us for charge 63%.

7. Apr 16, 2008 #6
    have u measured the resistance of the resistor used?

8. Apr 16, 2008 #7
    resistance 5 ohm.

9. Apr 16, 2008 #8
    then u're good to go, u knew all the things needed, the time, the resistance, what made it difficult to get C?

10. Apr 16, 2008 #9
    I known to calculated from t=rc, but I want what capacitance to capture 3dB at 1 MHZ.

11. Apr 16, 2008 #10
    Thanks,
    I have plans to filter the ARINC 429 data lines.
    Note: the ARINC 429 lines can have a pulse rise time as short at 1us. This translates to an effective signal on the order of 1MHz. The pi filter 3dB frequency has to be above the ARINC 429 frequency (ARINC 429 have frequency is 1Mhz).

12. Apr 17, 2008 #11

Redbelly98

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

V_0 is the final voltage. You'll need to set the time scale on the oscilloscope so that you can see what the value is.

The capacitor voltage charges from 0V initially to V_0 eventually. The time to go from 0V to 0.63V is the RC time constant.

edit added:
    Just saw the date on the original post. Oops!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?