What Causes the Charging Sound of a Capacitor?

In summary, when a capacitor is charged, such as in a camera flash or defibrillator, a high frequency sound is emitted due to the use of an inverter to convert DC to a high voltage. This sound may be a subharmonic of the inverter frequency and can also be heard in other devices that use an inverter, such as a synthesizer or backlit display.
uq_civediv
when you charge a capacitor (camera flash for instance) you hear a sound that increases in pitch and dies out

i wonder what causes that ?

i think you also hear in on tv when they charge the defibrillator before they zap someone to restart the heart

Physics news on Phys.org
I believe that sound is caused by the inverter that is used to charge the capacitor. In a camera, the capacitor used to discharge energy through the flash is around 600 volts and a couple of microfarads, but the battery is only a few volts DC. The inverter converts the DC to a high frequency square wave, and then that AC voltage is stepped up to the high DC voltage needed to charge the capacitor (since voltage multipliers only work with AC). I think in most cases the inverter frequency is above the range of human hearing, so it might be some subharmonic of the inverter frequency that we hear. I assume the same sort of thing is going on in a defibrillator.

I have an old Roland synthesizer with a display that also uses an inverter to step up the DC power supply to the 90 volts or so needed to run the electroluminescent backlight, and it whines like crazy. I can also hear a similar noise if I listen closely to my old PalmPilot that has a backlit diplay.

The charging sound of a capacitor is caused by the flow of electric current through the circuit as the capacitor is being charged. This flow of electric current produces a vibration in the capacitor's components, which creates the audible sound. The pitch of the sound increases as the capacitor is being charged, and dies out once the capacitor is fully charged. This phenomenon is commonly observed in electronic devices such as camera flashes and defibrillators. It is important to note that the charging sound is not harmful and is simply a byproduct of the charging process.

1. What is a capacitor and how does it work?

A capacitor is an electronic component that is used to store electrical energy. It is made up of two conductive plates separated by an insulating material known as a dielectric. When a voltage is applied to the plates, an electric field is created between them, allowing the capacitor to store electrical energy.

2. What causes the charging sound of a capacitor?

The charging sound of a capacitor is caused by the movement of electrons as the capacitor is being charged. When a voltage is applied to the capacitor, electrons are transferred from one plate to the other, resulting in a flow of current. This flow of electrons can create a buzzing or humming sound, which is especially noticeable in larger capacitors or when the voltage is high.

3. Why does the charging sound of a capacitor vary in intensity?

The intensity of the charging sound of a capacitor can vary depending on the size and type of the capacitor, as well as the voltage and current being applied. Larger capacitors or those with higher capacitance values will typically produce a louder sound. Additionally, the sound may be more noticeable at higher voltages or when there is a larger flow of current.

4. Is the charging sound of a capacitor harmful?

No, the charging sound of a capacitor is not harmful. It is simply a byproduct of the electrical energy being stored in the capacitor. However, if the capacitor is being charged at a high voltage, there may be a risk of electric shock, so it is important to take necessary precautions when working with capacitors.

5. Can the charging sound of a capacitor be eliminated?

The charging sound of a capacitor can be reduced or eliminated by using a higher quality capacitor with lower resistance and better insulation. Additionally, using a lower voltage or smaller capacitance value can also help to reduce the sound. Proper grounding and shielding techniques can also be used to minimize the sound.