How Do You Calculate Charge and Current Over Time in a Defibrillator Circuit?

• Thread starter _mae
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Charging
In summary, the conversation discusses the solution to a physics problem involving equations for q(t) and I(t). The participant has solved the second part of the problem, but is having difficulty with the syntax for the equations. They have plugged in all the numbers and included units, but WebAssign is still saying it is incorrect. The other participant suggests including units for the 1.7s in the exponential, as they were provided in previous answers.
_mae
**EDIT: I solved the second part of the problem, I just need help on the syntax for the 2 equations of q(t) and I(t).

Homework Statement

http://img262.imageshack.us/img262/2139/phys1xf8.jpg

Homework Equations

First Part:
q(t) = Q(1-e-t/RC)
I(t) = (emf/R) e-t/RC

The Attempt at a Solution

For the equations of q and I as functions of time, I basically plugged in all the numbers and WebAssign is telling me that it's wrong. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong -- any help would be appreciated.

Please help. :(

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Just a guess, but they might want you to include units in your expressions for q and I, including the 1.7s in the exponential. They had provided the units in the previous answers, but not for those.

Your numbers for q and I look right to me. I get something slightly different for (a).

I would like to provide some clarification on the concept of charging a defibrillator. A defibrillator is a medical device used to deliver an electric shock to the heart in order to restore a normal heart rhythm during a cardiac arrest. The process of charging a defibrillator involves storing electrical energy in a capacitor, which is then released in a controlled manner to deliver the shock.

In the given problem, the equations for q(t) and I(t) represent the charge and current as functions of time, respectively. The first equation, q(t) = Q(1-e-t/RC), represents the charge on the capacitor at any given time. Here, Q is the maximum charge that the capacitor can hold, R is the resistance of the circuit, and C is the capacitance of the capacitor. The term e-t/RC represents the rate at which the charge is accumulating on the capacitor.

The second equation, I(t) = (emf/R) e-t/RC, represents the current flowing through the circuit at any given time. Here, emf is the electromotive force, which is the potential difference across the capacitor. The term e-t/RC represents the rate at which the current is flowing through the circuit.

It is important to note that these equations are idealized and do not take into account any losses in the circuit. In reality, there will be some energy lost due to resistance in the circuit, which would result in a slower charging process.

In order to calculate the values for q(t) and I(t), you need to know the values of Q, R, C, and emf. Make sure to double-check your calculations and units to ensure accuracy. If you are still having trouble, I would recommend consulting with your instructor or a fellow classmate for assistance. Remember, as a scientist, it is important to approach problems with a critical and analytical mindset, and to always seek out reliable sources for information and assistance. Best of luck!

What is a defibrillator?

A defibrillator is a medical device used to deliver a controlled electric shock to the heart in order to restore its normal rhythm.

How does a defibrillator work?

A defibrillator works by delivering an electric shock to the heart, which interrupts any abnormal electrical activity and allows the heart to reset and resume its normal rhythm.

When is a defibrillator used?

A defibrillator is used in emergency situations when a person is experiencing a life-threatening heart rhythm, such as ventricular fibrillation or ventricular tachycardia.

What is the process for charging a defibrillator?

The first step in charging a defibrillator is to turn it on and ensure that it is properly connected to the patient. Next, the appropriate energy level is selected based on the patient's weight and the type of rhythm being treated. The defibrillator is then charged by pressing the charge button, and the shock is delivered by pressing the shock button once the charge is complete.

How much energy is typically used when charging a defibrillator?

The amount of energy used when charging a defibrillator varies, but it typically ranges from 200 to 360 joules. The specific energy level used will depend on the patient's weight and the type of rhythm being treated.