Can I Charge My Kindle Touch with a USB Connector?

• Thread starter sophiecentaur
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Charging
In summary, the conversation discusses the issue of charging the new Amazon Touch device and whether it can be charged using various USB chargers. Some individuals have experienced issues with the charging process, but it is confirmed that the Touch can be charged using a standard mini-USB connector, including phone chargers or by plugging it into a computer. The conversation also mentions using an old charger for a different device, which may not provide enough voltage for the Touch to charge to 100%.
sophiecentaur
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I understand that Amazon don't give you a charger with the new Touch. I have read on (very non-tech) forums that there are 'issues' when trying to charge a Touch, with the Orange light coming on unexpectedly and uncertainty whether the thing is charged in fact.
Does the Touch charge via a USB connector? In which case, can it be charged via one of the half-dozen USB chargers I have acquired for smart phones etc.? I don't want to pay out on something I don't need. (Scrooge Mc Duck)
I'm asking here because I got fed up trawling through the ramblings of ignorami. I should be able to expect a bit more sense from you guys and some of you are just bound to own Touches.

Engineering news on Phys.org
This is just a guess based on the fact that the two Kindles I've seen have Mini-USB chargers, but I suspect the Touch also uses Mini-USB.

It just uses a standard mini-USB for charging.
I mostly use my phone charger, or I charge it by plugging it into a computer.

Thanks guys. I bought one and it seems to be just the same as anything else would be . Surprise surprise!

I have normal Kindle, and sometimes I use an old charger that I got with my hands-free-Bluetooth-ear-plug-whatever-it-is-called-in-English-thingy. And it doesn't work :wink: That is, Kindle doesn't charge to 100%, and the diode stays yellow for ever - but it definitely gets charged and stops complaining about a low battery level. I guess the voltage from the charger is too low, or something like that.

1) How long does it take to fully charge a Kindle Touch?

The time it takes to fully charge a Kindle Touch depends on the power source and the battery level. On average, it can take 3-4 hours to fully charge from a computer's USB port and 2-3 hours from a wall outlet using the included charger.

2) Can I use a different charger to charge my Kindle Touch?

Yes, as long as the charger has a USB port and provides the appropriate voltage and current for the Kindle Touch (5V, 1A), it can be used to charge the device. However, it is recommended to use the included charger to ensure proper and safe charging.

3) Is it safe to charge my Kindle Touch overnight?

Yes, it is safe to leave your Kindle Touch charging overnight. The device is designed to stop charging once the battery is full, preventing overcharging and damage to the battery.

4) Can I use my Kindle Touch while it is charging?

Yes, you can use your Kindle Touch while it is charging. However, it may take longer to fully charge the device if it is being used simultaneously.

5) How often should I charge my Kindle Touch?

The frequency of charging your Kindle Touch depends on your usage. If you use it frequently, it is recommended to charge it daily or every few days. If you use it less often, it can go longer between charges. It is important to keep the battery level above 20% to prolong its lifespan.

Back