Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Charging a Kindle Touch

1. Aug 29, 2012 #1

sophiecentaur

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I understand that Amazon don't give you a charger with the new Touch. I have read on (very non-tech) forums that there are 'issues' when trying to charge a Touch, with the Orange light coming on unexpectedly and uncertainty whether the thing is charged in fact.
    Does the Touch charge via a USB connector? In which case, can it be charged via one of the half-dozen USB chargers I have acquired for smart phones etc.? I don't want to pay out on something I don't need. (Scrooge Mc Duck)
    I'm asking here because I got fed up trawling through the ramblings of ignorami. I should be able to expect a bit more sense from you guys and some of you are just bound to own Touches.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 29, 2012 #2
    This is just a guess based on the fact that the two Kindles I've seen have Mini-USB chargers, but I suspect the Touch also uses Mini-USB.

4. Aug 31, 2012 #3

f95toli

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

It just uses a standard mini-USB for charging.
    I mostly use my phone charger, or I charge it by plugging it into a computer.

5. Aug 31, 2012 #4

sophiecentaur

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Thanks guys. I bought one and it seems to be just the same as anything else would be . Surprise surprise!

6. Aug 31, 2012 #5

Borek

Staff: Mentor

I have normal Kindle, and sometimes I use an old charger that I got with my hands-free-Bluetooth-ear-plug-whatever-it-is-called-in-English-thingy. And it doesn't work :wink: That is, Kindle doesn't charge to 100%, and the diode stays yellow for ever - but it definitely gets charged and stops complaining about a low battery level. I guess the voltage from the charger is too low, or something like that.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook