Charging an earthed conductor?

In summary, earthing is the process of connecting a charged object to the Earth with a conductor, allowing excess electrons to flow between the two until they reach the same charge density. For an insulator, the effectiveness of earthing depends on whether it is earthed at the point where charge is stored and how good of an insulator it is. Bringing a charged object near an earthed conductor can result in an induced charge on the conductor due to the attraction or repulsion of opposite or like charges. To charge an insulator, a thought experiment can simply declare it so, but in reality, it involves manipulating the atomic structure and electrons of the insulator.
21joanna12

Homework Statement

I never quite understood the principles of earthing, but I think that the general idea is that if you have an object with excess charge (whether positive or negative), then connecting it to the Earth with a conductor will mean that either the excess electrons flow to the Earth (if object is negatively charged) or electrons flow from the Earth to the object (if the Earth is positively charged) and that this happens until both the Earth and object have the same charge density, but because the Earth is so large this means that all of the electrons from the object end up flowing to the charge, or as many electrons as are needed to make the positive object neutral flow to it. I have two questions about this:
1. Is the effect of earthing difference if your object is an insulator with charge gathered on it, or is it is a charged conductor?
2. In my textbook, it says that 'an earthed conductor will become charged is a charged object is placed near it'. Should it not be that the charge then flows to the Earth so neither the object, nor the conductor next to which the object is placed, end up with a charge?

Homework Equations

n/a

The Attempt at a Solution

My guess for the first question is that for an insulator it depends on whether the insulator is earthed at the point on its surface where charge is stored, because here the excess electrons may be able to just move enough to get to the earthing lead, but it depends on how good an insulator it is. But I'm not sure...
For the second question, I have no idea :(

Thank you in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
21joanna12 said:
My guess for the first question is that for an insulator it depends on whether the insulator is earthed at the point on its surface where charge is stored, because here the excess electrons may be able to just move enough to get to the earthing lead, but it depends on how good an insulator it is. But I'm not sure...
At this course level you should assume that an insulator, unless otherwise specified, is a perfect insulator and that any charges on it are fixed in place. If the charges cannot move then bringing a charged object near will not cause the charges to move or rearrange in any way despite any attraction or repulsion they may feel from the object's charges. Likewise, charges from the vast neutral pool of charges that we associate with "earth" cannot flow onto or into an insulator if you Earth a point on it.

For 2, consider that opposite charges attract and like charges repel. So if you bring a charged object near an earthed conductor then it can attract charges of the opposite polarity up from the neutral pool (or, if you like, repel like charges from the conductor and force them down into the earth). These charges will move toward the charged object and pool at the edge of the conductor nearest the attracting charge. This pool of charge will eventually repel any further charges from moving onto the conductor from the Earth --- the electric field from this collected pool of charges cancels the electric field from the charged object --- a balance is achieved. The net result is an net "induced charge" on the conductor.

Likes 21joanna12
gneill said:
2, consider that opposite charges attract and like charges repel. So if you bring a charged object near an earthed conductor then it can attract charges of the opposite polarity up from the neutral pool (or, if you like, repel like charges from the conductor and force them down into the earth). These charges will move toward the charged object and pool at the edge of the conductor nearest the attracting charge. This pool of charge will eventually repel any further charges from moving onto the conductor from the Earth --- the electric field from this collected pool of charges cancels the electric field from the charged object --- a balance is achieved. The net result is an net "induced charge" on the conductor.

So then if you did this and removed the earthing wire, you would end up having a charged conductor. I think I get that now!

gneill said:
At this course level you should assume that an insulator, unless otherwise specified, is a perfect insulator and that any charges on it are fixed in place. If the charges cannot move then bringing a charged object near will not cause the charges to move or rearrange in any way despite any attraction or repulsion they may feel from the object's charges. Likewise, charges from the vast neutral pool of charges that we associate with "earth" cannot flow onto or into an insulator if you Earth a point on it.

Regarding this part, how then do you charge an insulator? I think I have read somewhere that you can gather charge onto an insulator...

Thank you for your reply!

21joanna12 said:
Regarding this part, how then do you charge an insulator? I think I have read somewhere that you can gather charge onto an insulator...

With an ideal insulator in a thought experiment you do it by simply declaring it so :smile: In real life, a real insulator has an atomic structure and electrons that can be stripped off (even if the work function to do so is very high), or electrons can be "sprayed" onto the surface where they will stick (if loosely) since they've no where else to go. The transfer is often done by wiping the surface with a good donator or attractor of charges, such as rabbit fur or silk. Look up "Triboelectric effect".

Likes 21joanna12

Hello,

I can provide some clarification on the concept of earthing and its effects on charged objects.

Earthing, also known as grounding, is a process of connecting an object to the Earth through a conductor. The purpose of earthing is to provide a safe path for excess electrical charge to discharge into the ground. This is especially important in situations where there is a risk of electric shock or damage to electronic equipment due to excess charge.

To answer your first question, the effect of earthing does not depend on whether the object is an insulator or a conductor. In both cases, the excess charge will flow through the conductor to the ground, equalizing the charge density between the object and the Earth. However, as you mentioned, the effectiveness of earthing may depend on the conductivity of the object. A highly conductive object will discharge its excess charge more quickly compared to an insulator.

For your second question, the statement in your textbook is slightly misleading. An earthed conductor will not become charged if a charged object is placed near it. Instead, the excess charge from the charged object will flow through the conductor and into the ground, leaving both objects with a neutral charge. This is because the Earth has a much larger capacity to absorb charge compared to the conductor.

I hope this helps to clarify the concept of earthing and its effects on charged objects.

1. How does charging an earthed conductor affect its electric potential?

Charging an earthed conductor does not affect its electric potential. This is because the earth is a large reservoir of charge, and any excess charge on the conductor will be neutralized by the earth.

2. Can an earthed conductor hold a charge?

No, an earthed conductor cannot hold a charge. This is because the excess charge on the conductor will be neutralized by the earth, preventing it from accumulating on the conductor.

3. Can an earthed conductor be charged by induction?

Yes, an earthed conductor can be charged by induction. This is because the excess charge on the conductor will induce a charge on the earth, creating an opposite charge on the opposite side of the conductor.

4. What happens when an earthed conductor is charged with a different type of charge?

If an earthed conductor is charged with a different type of charge, the excess charge on the conductor will be neutralized by the opposite charge on the earth. This will result in the conductor having a net charge of zero.

5. Is charging an earthed conductor safe?

Yes, charging an earthed conductor is safe. This is because the excess charge on the conductor will be neutralized by the earth, preventing any build-up of charge that could potentially cause harm.