1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Charging an RC Circuit

1. Sep 27, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A 1.47 micro F capacitor is charged through a 123 Ohm resistor and then discharged through the same resistor by short-circuiting the battery.

While the capacitor is being charged, find the time for the charge on its plates to reach 1/e of its maximum value.

2. Relevant equations

q = Q_final[1-e^(-t/RC)], (q)/(Q_final) = [1-e^(-t/RC)]

3. The attempt at a solution

Firstly, forgive my ignorance.

Well, I know that when charging an RC-circuit, the current decreases exponentially with time and the charge on the capacitor increases with time as the capacitor charges. Using the above equation, I assume we should be able to calculate a time constant, when t = RC, so that the charge would be 1-1/e of its final value. Though this will probably be straightforward to everyone else here, it's still not clear for me how to approach this. If I straightforwardly find the product of the capacitance and resistance, I'm only finding the aforementioned 1-1/e of the maximum value, correct? I'm beginning to become very muddled about this problem, and I can't tell if I'm fudging the the math (perhaps I just need an Algebra problem-solving review), or if my conception of the problem is way off. If anyone can provide a suggestions or hints as of how to approach this problem, I would greatly appreciate it. I apologize if this has been a waste of your time.

Thanks,

Austin

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 27, 2007 #2
    First off, they're asking you to find 1/e of qmax. If you look at the equation you've typed out, the max value is when t is infinity (or a very large amount of time compared to the rest of the quantities). This gives you qmax.

Then replace q by qmax*1/e in the same equation and calculate the time required from that.

4. Sep 27, 2007 #3
    Okay. Would this mean that q_max and Q_final are equal? I'm inclined to say no because I keep reaching the same (wrong) calculation. I can't figure out any way to find them without eliminating them from both sides of the equation. I keep getting that t=RC, which I know is wrong. What am I not understanding?

5. Sep 27, 2007 #4
    Thanks for your help, I finally figured it out. I think I was just miscalculating and making some stupid mistakes.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?