Charge Equality Between Different Size Pith Balls

In summary, when identical pith balls come in contact to make q1=q2, the charges would be equal if the balls were of different size. Putting the balls in contact forces their potential to be the same, and separating them would result in the smaller ball containing less charge. Connecting them with a wire would also equalize their potential, with the ratio of charges being equal to the ratio of the radii. This holds true for metal balls, and may also be applicable to disks or straight rods. However, further analysis is needed to determine the exact ratio for these shapes.
slickvic
Suppose you let identical pith balls come in contact to make q1=q2. Would the charges be equal if the pith balls were of different size?

Physics news on Phys.org
You know, I vaguely remember doing this problem way back in freshman physics. Just a guess on my part, but I think that putting the balls in contact would make the charge density uniform. If my assumption is correct, then when you separate the balls, the smaller one would contain less charge.

I'm not real sure about pith, but I can answer for metal balls...

Putting the balls in contact forces their potential to be the same. The problem is easier if the balls are separated by a distance large compared to their size. Briefly connecting them with a wire would force the potential at each ball to be the same. In this case the ratio of charges would be equal to the ratio of the radii.

mdelisio said:
I'm not real sure about pith, but I can answer for metal balls...

Putting the balls in contact forces their potential to be the same. The problem is easier if the balls are separated by a distance large compared to their size. Briefly connecting them with a wire would force the potential at each ball to be the same. In this case the ratio of charges would be equal to the ratio of the radii.

Are you sure it wouldn't be equal to the ratio of the cube of their radii?

I'm asking because I'm also considering lesser dimensional problems. What if, instead of spheres, we were talking about disks, or straight rods? Well, maybe I should work the problem for myself and get back to you guys.

What is charge equality between different size pith balls?

Charge equality between different size pith balls refers to the concept that when two pith balls of different sizes come in contact with each other, they will share their charge in a way that the total charge on each ball is equal.

Why is charge equality important in pith balls?

Charge equality is important in pith balls because it helps us understand the behavior of charged objects. It allows us to predict how the charges will distribute themselves when two objects come in contact, and how they will interact with each other.

What factors affect charge equality between different size pith balls?

The main factor that affects charge equality between different size pith balls is the size of the balls. The larger the ball, the more charge it can hold. Other factors that may influence charge equality include the material of the balls and the environmental conditions such as humidity.

How is charge equality between different size pith balls measured?

Charge equality between different size pith balls can be measured by using an electroscope. The pith balls are attached to the ends of a metal rod and the rod is suspended from a metal plate. When the pith balls come in contact, the rod will be deflected to a certain angle, which can be measured and used to calculate the charge on each ball.

What are some real-life applications of charge equality between different size pith balls?

Charge equality between different size pith balls can be applied in various fields such as electrostatics, electricity, and even in the study of living organisms. It can also be used to demonstrate the principles of electric charge and how it behaves in different situations.