Nexus 7 Charging: Should I Drain Battery?

• Thread starter Ben.meyer
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Charging
In summary, it is not recommended to drain the battery on a Nexus completely before charging it again. This can be detrimental to the newer lithium batteries. It is best to keep the battery at around 70% charge and store it in the refrigerator to maximize its lifespan. The capacity of the battery decreases with each charge cycle, so it is better to use a properly designed charger to avoid frequent discharge and charge cycles. The slight additional loss from being at 100% charge is not a major concern.
Ben.meyer
Should I drain my battery on my Nexus before charging it again?

Computer science news on Phys.org
No. With the newer batteries, it's bad for them to be completely drained before charging. If possible, avoid completely draining the battery.

Maximum life for lithium batteries is at 70% charge and in the refrigerator. The capacity decreases with every charge cycle so the more you discharge and charge it, the faster it will lose total capacity. With a properly designed charger it seems you would always be better off using the charger to reduce the discharge/charge cycles. The additional loss due to being at 100% charge is probably not an issue.

1. What is the best way to charge my Nexus 7?

The best way to charge your Nexus 7 is to keep the battery between 30% and 80% charged. This will help prolong the overall lifespan of your battery.

2. Should I let my Nexus 7 battery drain completely before charging?

No, it is not necessary to let your Nexus 7 battery drain completely before charging. In fact, it is recommended to keep the battery level above 20% to prevent any potential damage to the battery.

3. Is it okay to use my Nexus 7 while it is charging?

Yes, it is safe to use your Nexus 7 while it is charging. However, it is recommended to avoid intensive tasks such as gaming or streaming while charging as it can generate more heat and potentially affect the battery's lifespan.

4. Can I overcharge my Nexus 7?

No, it is not possible to overcharge your Nexus 7 as it is equipped with a built-in mechanism to prevent overcharging. Once the battery reaches 100%, it will stop charging.

5. How often should I charge my Nexus 7?

It is recommended to charge your Nexus 7 every 2-3 days, even if the battery is not completely drained. This will help maintain the battery's health and ensure it has enough power when you need it.