Understanding Capacitor Charging: Basics for Beginners

In summary, when a parallel plate capacitor is connected to a battery, the positive plate gains a positive charge while the negative plate gains a negative charge. This creates a potential difference between the plates, with the negative plate having a higher potential than the positive one. This process is due to the movement of electrons from one plate to the other, resulting in an electric field between the plates. The capacitor will continue to hold this charge until it is discharged or connected to a circuit.
Ashu2912
Please explain to me how a parallel plate capacitor is charged and potential difference develops between it's plates when it is connected to a battery, i.e. how the negative plate is at a higher potential than the positive one. Please do not post links to some website with advanced concepts and explanations as I am just a beginner.

Physics news on Phys.org
Ashu2912 said:
Please explain to me how a parallel plate capacitor is charged and potential difference develops between it's plates when it is connected to a battery, i.e. how the negative plate is at a higher potential than the positive one. Please do not post links to some website with advanced concepts and explanations as I am just a beginner.

Try the links for an easy and quick exp.:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t9Qwx75eg8w&feature=related

and

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_PhQu5oQIKs&feature=related

1. What is a capacitor and how does it work?

A capacitor is an electronic component that stores electrical energy in the form of an electric charge. It consists of two conductive plates separated by an insulating material, usually a dielectric. When a voltage is applied to the capacitor, an electric field is created between the plates, causing the capacitor to store energy. The amount of charge that can be stored on a capacitor is directly proportional to the applied voltage.

2. How does a capacitor charge?

A capacitor charges when a voltage is applied to its terminals. The electric charge on the plates increases until it reaches the same potential as the applied voltage. As the charge builds up, the electric field between the plates also increases, causing the capacitor to store more energy. The charging process continues until the capacitor is fully charged, at which point the current stops flowing.

3. What factors affect the charging of a capacitor?

The time it takes for a capacitor to charge depends on its capacitance, the applied voltage, and the resistance of the circuit. A larger capacitance means the capacitor can store more charge, resulting in a longer charging time. A higher applied voltage will cause the capacitor to charge faster, while a higher resistance will slow down the charging process.

4. Can a capacitor hold a charge indefinitely?

No, a capacitor cannot hold a charge indefinitely. Over time, the stored charge in a capacitor will dissipate due to leakage current and the effects of the dielectric material. The rate of discharge depends on the quality of the capacitor and the conditions of the environment, such as temperature and humidity.

5. What is the difference between a charged and discharged capacitor?

A charged capacitor has a potential difference between its plates, with one plate having a positive charge and the other having a negative charge. This stored energy can be discharged when the capacitor is connected to a circuit. In contrast, a discharged capacitor has no potential difference between its plates and is essentially equivalent to a wire.