1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Charging the Capacitor

1. Dec 5, 2004 #1
    So I have done most of this problem, but can't seem to find the final charge on that capacitor. It says that there was a switch, even though it is not in the image, and that at t=0 the switch is closed, and that the capictor had no charge initially. I solved for and know that I1 = 4.2 A, I2 = 1.4 A, and I3 = 2.8 A, where 1, 2, and 3 refer to the resistors with the same numbers. But I can't solve for the final charge on the capacitor! I know that Qf = EC, and the capacitance is 4 * 10^6, and that E = 42V, but (4*10^6)(42) wasn't right. So then I solved for the Voltage that goes through resistor 3 and got that it was 8.2V, but (4*10^6)(8.2) wasn't right either. I don't understand what the proper answer is, or how to obtain it. Your help is appreciated; thanks!
    Josh

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 5, 2004 #2

Tide

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

If you're asking for the "final charge" on the capacitor then there should be no current flowing through the third resistor.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?