Charhe question involving charge of rod and Length, help please?

In summary: Expert summarizerIn summary, the student is trying to calculate the x- and y- components of the electric field at a point P near a charged insulating rod. They have derived equations for both components using integrals and have also determined that the length L can be found by using the Pythagorean theorem and solving for the angle theta. They also need to find the distance between point P and the origin, which can be done using the distance formula. Further clarification and assistance is available if needed.
jcfor3ver

Homework Statement

DESCRIPTION OF PROBLEM: So here is the problem (may look a little weird because I cannot input integral signs into this question)

A student working on a physics problem determined that the x- and y- components of the electric
field at a point P near a charged insulating rod can be calculated from the following integrals:

Homework Equations

KNOWN:
Note: K=constant and lambda=Q/L
dy=dervative of y

E,x=K*lambda (integral sign from 0 to length L) (dy/x^2+y^2)*(x/sq.rt(x^2+y^2))

which simplifies to E,x= K*lambda (integral from 0 to L) (x*dy/(x^2+y^2)^3/2)

Then E,y = -K*lambda (integral from 0 to L) (x*dy/(x^2+y^2)^3/2)

The Attempt at a Solution

SOLVE:
Now notice the negative in the y direction. What I drew my picture as was the rod parallel to y-axis and starting from y=0 some distance from a pt. P lying on the x-axis.

It asks me to find the Length, how should I do this? I did one thing where I set costheta=x/sq.rt(x^2+L^2) and solved for L, but I do not know if this is correct. Solving I received sq.rt((-x^2+(costheta/x))^2)=L

It also asks me to show how far point P is?
I am just confused on how to go about this, since it has both x and y components.
But I think it would be the same concept as finding L except solving for just x instead? I am confused. Help greatly appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org

Dear student,

Thank you for your question. It seems like you are on the right track with your solution. To find the length, you can use the Pythagorean theorem to relate the x and y components of the electric field at point P. This will give you an equation that relates the length L and the angle theta. From there, you can solve for L using the equation you derived for cos(theta).

As for finding the distance of point P from the rod, you can use the distance formula to find the distance between point P and the origin (where the rod starts). This will give you an equation with both x and y components, which you can then use to solve for the distance.

I hope this helps. Let me know if you have any further questions or if you need any clarification.

What is charge and how is it measured?

Charge is a fundamental property of matter that describes the strength of its electromagnetic interactions. It can be either positive or negative, and is measured in units of Coulombs (C).

How can the charge of a rod be determined?

To determine the charge of a rod, it can be subjected to an electric field and its resulting movement or deflection can be measured. This can be done using a device called an electroscope or by using a method called the electrophorus.

What factors affect the charge of a rod?

The charge of a rod is affected by the material it is made of, as some materials have a higher or lower affinity for electrons. It is also affected by any external electric fields or sources of charge that it may come into contact with.

How does the length of a rod affect its charge?

The length of a rod does not directly affect its charge. However, a longer rod may have a larger surface area and therefore be able to hold more charge. Additionally, the length of a rod may affect its ability to conduct or transfer charge to other objects.

What are some real-life applications of understanding charge and length?

Understanding charge and length is important in a variety of fields, including electronics, materials science, and particle physics. It is also crucial in understanding and designing systems such as batteries, capacitors, and electric circuits.